Winter steelhead

EOBOY
EOBOY
chinookless said:
Alright nice, thanks for all the info. Anyone have any luck with the fall salmon?

I think this was luck LOL. Not really! I'm the old guy, but contact the Capt. next to me and he'll help you.

• chrom102.jpg
B
BaldTexan
It must've been luck! The cap'ns hat is on backwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S
SailCat
Hey, chinookless, before you go shopping for a new outfit and just to be certain there's not a regional terminology distinction to be made here, does your reel have a button on the back or a bail on the front?

C
chinookless
It has a bail on the front my friend. The button one is for the kiddos. :D. Thank you for the clarification.

-AB

C
chinookless
EOBOY, who is the captian?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
chinookless said:
EOBOY, who is the captian?

SteelmonKiller20 (Tanner). his facebook page is "tanner's guide service"

C
chinookless
Thanks. I am pumped for some fishing.

C
ChezJfrey
By far the best bank access is the Wilson. You can fish just about the entire river on Hwy. 6 between mile marker 27 and mile marker 5. The highway follows the river, so just choose any pull out you can see the river and start walking around.

For SW Portland, the Clack also has some great spots, but not as many from the bank and more private property that prevent walking in. The fish arrive on the Wilson a little earlier, so it fishes better in Dec. and Jan., but late Jan./Feb. the Clack will start to turn on and usually fishes well into Sept. because the summer run overlaps the winter run.

For winter steelheading, waders are highly suggested. Spinners are fine, but spoons rule! :)

Good luck!

B
brentcolorado
hello all,
i'm coming out to portland for a buisness trip, more importantly i'm brining my fishing poles. i would like some advice of where to go for some steelhead and trout fishing 10/26-30/15. what are the travel times looking like at 430 in the afternoon weekdays from Kelly point park to barton park.

C
chinookless
Thanks Chez, what about the willamette in the Eugene area? I spend a lot of time down there since my girl lives there? I know there is bank access etc but does it produce steelies? Thanks for all the advice,

-rookie

C
ChezJfrey
chinookless said:
Thanks Chez, what about the willamette in the Eugene area? I spend a lot of time down there since my girl lives there? I know there is bank access etc but does it produce steelies? Thanks for all the advice,

-rookie

I live SW Portland, so I keyed in on that part...don't have much of a clue about Eugene, so I'll leave that to others. I know fish head up the Willy that far, but a fair number probably diverge to other tribs along the way and their run timing is obviously going to be a bit later than here in the Portland area. I also don't know much about coastal systems down that way.

D
DrTheopolis
brentcolorado said:
what are the travel times looking like at 430 in the afternoon weekdays from Kelly point park to barton park.

You might get there before dark.

Much better OFF fishing the Sandy from there. Stay on Marine Drive, and it will pretty much take you all the way there, with little traffic.

I
Iki Jime
chinookless said:

-rookie

Chinookless, I'm a rookie, so you'll want to confirm this with a veteran angler... but I think the Willamette get a summer steelhead run that tend to hang around all year and a spring salmon run...

James

S
SailCat
chinookless said:
It has a bail on the front my friend. The button one is for the kiddos. :D. Thank you for the clarification.

-AB

That's what I though. In this In this part of the country, we call those kiddie but reels spincast and what you have a spinning reel. 'Sounds like you're good to go. Tight lines!

I
Iki Jime
I used the only pair of chest waders that I own today on the McKenzie. I got them off of Craigslist for, like $25, if I remember right. They're ugly, but keep me dry. Since I'm a newb, I won't spend a lot of money to buy equipment until I've had enough experience to know what kind of gear I prefer.

James

chinookless said:
Thanks for the info boys, any need to purchase waders, or will the river be too high and swift for that? Suggestions on what size spinner to use?

Thanks,

-Chinookless