Winter steelhead

C
chinookless
I am from Arkansas, looking to get into some steelies.

Do we have to wait for the rivers to rise before we can get out and fish or how does winter steelhead fishing work? Also, using spinners is fine?

Thanks,

B
Berg03
the winters usually start showing up next month, and yes rain will really help! Can fish for them through march. Spinners work great, when i cast spinners at them I usually make sure i hit a lot of holes. 20-30 casts through a hole and i move on up or down. Almost any coastal river will have steelhead in them by December

C
chinookless
Berg03 said:
the winters usually start showing up next month, and yes rain will really help! Can fish for them through march. Spinners work great, when i cast spinners at them I usually make sure i hit a lot of holes. 20-30 casts through a hole and i move on up or down. Almost any coastal river will have steelhead in them by December

Nice, thanks berg, which coastal river has the best bank fishing access. I am boat-less.

-Chinookless

B
Big3d
What city/area do you live in? That will help people give you their best answer.

O
OnTheDrop
Don't even say those two words right now..... I can't WAIT!

B
BaldTexan
There are still summer steelhead and sea run cutthroat around if you want to get out and explore some rivers. Careful catching those winter steelies. It's very addictive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C
chinookless
I live in Portland but I am single and mobile. I spend quite a bit of time in Eugene and i am willing to drive a few hours to get into some fish. I want some winter steelhead, thank you for all the responses!

-Chinookless

C
chinookless
Also, is a spincast reel suitable? or do I need a baitcasting reel? I don't think the fish can tell the difference, but hey thats just me.

P
pinstriper
chinookless said:
Also, is a spincast reel suitable? or do I need a baitcasting reel? I don't think the fish can tell the difference, but hey thats just me.

(a) Not unless it has Barbie decals on it. Otherwise, no.

(b) Depends on how you are fishing. Bobber/eggs/bait/jig ? Tossing spinners ? Go with a spinning rod. Trolling or backtrolling plugs ? Baitcast.

(c) Different casting distance with different weights, different line, different retrieve speed = yes there is a difference.

C
chinookless
Thanks Pinstriper for the knowledge.

I have used a spincast all my life, and I will be mostly fishing from the bank with spinners so that info is good to know.

-chinookless

B
Berg03
for steelhead its no worries what type of rod and reel you have. Some have personal preference on situations but either can be done. The clack/Sandy would be the closest rivers to you. If you want to go coastal, the Wilson River provides a lot of hatchery fish and a lot of bank access.

D
DrTheopolis
Chucking spinners from the bank -- use a spinning reel. On as long a rod as you're comfortable with (although anything past 8'6" can be lame to hike the bank with).

While there's some around, winters don't start to get thick until January in most rivers (not to be rude, but a newb fishing for Thanksgiving winters would be a tough introduction to the fishery).

And the Clack and Sandy will be your friends.

B
Big3d
You might also give the wilson a shot. Very nice water and a decent run.

C
chinookless
Thanks for the info boys, any need to purchase waders, or will the river be too high and swift for that? Suggestions on what size spinner to use?

Thanks,

-Chinookless

B
Big3d
I use mostly blue fox 3s but I assume it depends on the water. Low flows smaller lures, high discolored water needs bigger flashier lures.

P
pinstriper
chinookless said:
Thanks Pinstriper for the knowledge.

I have used a spincast all my life, and I will be mostly fishing from the bank with spinners so that info is good to know.

-chinookless

More like conventional wisdom. To be adopted or ignored as one's own confirmation bias dictates.

P
pinstriper
chinookless said:
Thanks for the info boys, any need to purchase waders, or will the river be too high and swift for that? Suggestions on what size spinner to use?

Thanks,

-Chinookless

You can bank fish without waders. Just don't step into the water.

In fact, when the winter rains come and the water is moving fast, you really don't want to be actually wading into the stream to fish. But you might step in up to your knees to land a fish, so waders are a good idea for that. And also when it's raining they make great rain pants. But hip boots will do the same job.

B
Berg03
ya most spots you dont need waders, maybe just to make landing a fish easier. But always a good idea to have them on. Never know when you might want to hit a spot that you can't quite reach from the dry land.

C
chinookless
Alright nice, thanks for all the info. Anyone have any luck with the fall salmon?

B
BaldTexan
chinookless said:
Alright nice, thanks for all the info. Anyone have any luck with the fall salmon?

Yes! All my salmon are caught on luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: pinstriper