Winter Steelhead

K

kmleopard

I was hoping that some of the terrific members on here would be willing to share their knowledge and expertise regarding winter fishing. I LOVE to fish for summer run steel, but have never really taken the opportunity to fish for winters. I am finding myself with a little more time on my hands nowadays and would like to go on the hunt for winters. I live in the Lebanon area and would really like to know where is the best bet to get into winter steelhead in the general area around here? I am open to bank access opportunities, or have a drift boat to use. I don't want to get into anything too hairy in the boat, but am used to floating the Mac and the S. Santiam at summer levels. Any help would be great, especially regarding what rivers and level to look for. Thanks!

J

JeannaJigs

Alsea.

There's some threads in the archives about it that have a wealth of information, including a few about different drifts. I don't know anything about bank access, I've never bank fished it, only fished it last winter from my driftboat. I'm more familiar with the Siuslaw as far as run timing goes, can't recall when I was fishing the Alsea last winter, think it wasn't until December, up to march. The drifts are cake, definitely less technical than the McKenzie, About the same as the SS. Both are very easy. Just make sure it's up above 3. If I can run it, anyone can. Or well. Almost anyone.

W

willson

Banned User
My friend and i tried the North Santiam with no luck, not even a bite, after reading the odfw weekly report we were going to try s. Santiam but decided on giving the Nestucca a try. We did well with 3 steelheads nabbed with another guy on the same bank landing one similar in size. We were just drift fishing with roe and pink and white corkies.

F

fisherwilly

I would second the Alsea, especially from lebanon. There are some nice public parks to fish on the Alsea. Most people banking it are at the hatchery, but the north fork doesn't open until Dec 1. Actually the rest of the river above Fall Creek doesn't open until Dec. 1.

K

kmleopard

Thank you folks for your input. I really appreciate your hospitality!!! Have a great day!

Top Bottom