Winter Steelhead Show OFF 2020

OREGON FISHING FORUM

jamisonace

Most Featured
Yesterday my good friend from my McKenzie fishing days came down and we put a full day in. Tough fishing but we got 1 out of 2. Good times spending time with a good friend.

IMG_20200214_103549~2.jpg

my2labs

Most Featured
Grabbed a friend for dawn patrol this morning before the day got busy and found a little hatchery buck.
you’re killing it man!

good to see someone with consistent success.

makes me wish I didn’t work M-F, sun up to sun down. (Not that that would guarantee consistent success...)

maxwyatt

You guys are killing me. I've been skunked the last three outings. At least somebody is catching fish..... Congrats!

fish4food

spent yesterday fishing with Joe Mello (reelmellofishing) put a hurt on them hooked 16 landed 11 here's a few pics

87026390_815014558986220_1938611893677588480_n.jpg

Attachments

jamisonace

Most Featured
spent yesterday fishing with Joe Mello (reelmellofishing) put a hurt on them hooked 16 landed 11 here's a few pics
Guides have been doing awesome down here. I've been putting on in the evening when they are pulling off and I'm hearing great reports. I'm by myself and at least hooking one or two each evening. I'd like to get that amacher to Hestness float figured out. I know Follow...I mean Mello fishes that a lot.

maxwyatt

River Forks Park has great bank access but the rest is all private property.
Ah yes, private property, the bane of the bankie.

How's the fishing at the park? Also, is up river by Whistler any good? I'm looking for new water (if you couldn't tell), the last couple trips to my usual spot there was virtually no one catching fish.

jamisonace

Most Featured
Ah yes, private property, the bane of the bankie.

How's the fishing at the park? Also, is up river by Whistler any good? I'm looking for new water (if you couldn't tell), the last couple trips to my usual spot there was virtually no one catching fish.
Fishing is spotty for steelhead at River Forks. My avatar is at River Forks but I don't catch a lot there. It's more of a fall salmon spot but fish get caught there. Truth is there is all sorts of bank access in the area, I just don't know where it is. I know a guy that only bank fishes the North, South and Main Umpqua systems and catches over 150 a year. He fishes every day, all day but he's found a lot of good spots. Whistler's Bend has bank access on the upstream side of the park. Good Luck

maxwyatt

Thanks for the info. I'll have to explore the area more. I have one spot below Elkton where I bass fish and I'm marginally familiar with the river from motorcycling along Tyee rd/138/Bullock. That's all on the main stem, but there are a handfull of access points and parks that I'm aware of. I suppose that's a good place to start.

jamisonace

Most Featured
Tried a new adventure today. Took the sled to a (kind of) new area. I had fished it before but the conditions were not great. Today the conditions were better and we managed to find a couple. It is hard to find water that isn't crowded down here. We fished about a 3 mile stretch today and only saw 4 other boats until we got close to the takeout where it was busy.

Attachments

my2labs

Most Featured
count one for my boat...

Buddy and his girlfriend came to visit hoping to get him his first time on the sticks and her first steelhead.

Accomplished both.

He made a few bankies mad by rowing across their water.... but he did pretty well overall.

And she hooked and landed her first steel on her first trip chasing them.

Great day!

078137EC-AED8-4EAE-A84D-68144AE6B9E6.jpeg

Hooked Up

count one for my boat...

Buddy and his girlfriend came to visit hoping to get him his first time on the sticks and her first steelhead.

Accomplished both.

He made a few bankies mad by rowing across their water.... but he did pretty well overall.

And she hooked and landed her first steel on her first trip chasing them.

Great day!
Great day for you all. It doesn't get much better than seeing someone land their 1st steelhead.

jamisonace

Most Featured
Busy day on the river yesterday. Didn't get to fish all of my preferred spots but managed to hook this nice native fish. Looked to be 28" based on my net. Nice to get my "tug" fix.
The rivers around Roseburg are so ridiculously busy I was tempted to stop fishing weekends. Fortunately I was able to fish a stretch with the sled that gets relatively little pressure.

Not the most productive stretch but I'd rather catch a couple fish with no other boats in site than float a 6 mile stretch with 30 boats pounding every hole.

Hooked Up

The rivers around Roseburg are so ridiculously busy I was tempted to stop fishing weekends. Fortunately I was able to fish a stretch with the sled that gets relatively little pressure.

Not the most productive stretch but I'd rather catch a couple fish with no other boats in site than float a 6 mile stretch with 30 boats pounding every hole.
I always attempt to fish away from the crowds, hard to accomplish sometimes.

Top Bottom