Winter Steelhead in the ice!

B
BlackBass
Was looking for a exscuse to get out and do some fishing, with this cold weather we have been having, it takes a guy thats a few cards short of a full deck to want to go out and fish.:) So i decided to stop and check in on a old freind that lives on the river, make sure he had enough wood chopped ect.
Cut about a half cord for him, and decided to head up river and do some fishing! I started out fishing a deep slow moving hole, i could see my jig at 6' deep, decided i better bump it up to 10' first cast after adjusting my depth i watch my bobber slowly dip below the surface,i started reeling in line and picked up the rod tip, FISH ON . I have to give credit to my buddy Rob "Fishhooker" for tieing up such a nice jig, black with alittle red and some gold, with a chrome bead head! Thanks Rob.

Last edited:
M
Mike123
Dude! Nice!! A native too! WTG! :clap::dance:

F
FluffyFisherman
thats a good looking fish man

T
Thuggin4Life
Good job man gonna try my luck in the ice tomorrow.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Good job!

Good job!

Good job out there battling the elements and getting a hookup! :dance: Not to mention the high five for the good deed for an old friend.:clap::clap:

K
koboabe
nice fish man... what river?

T
Teo
Alsea ice

Alsea ice

Yeah, I was wondering which river also. I was on the Alsea yesterday and it was hard to find a spot that wasn't frozen over or drifting with mini ice bergs. Really hard on the fingers too. And if you caught a fish it would have been hard to reel him in over the 10 ft ledge of ice on the rivers edge.

B
BlackBass
Teo said:
Yeah, I was wondering which river also. I was on the Alsea yesterday and it was hard to find a spot that wasn't frozen over or drifting with mini ice bergs. Really hard on the fingers too. And if you caught a fish it would have been hard to reel him in over the 10 ft ledge of ice on the rivers edge.

Small coastal river, that doesn't receive hatchery fish.

F
fishndad
BlackBass said:

great fish bud! even if its all native its still fun to catch and release

B
beaverfan
BlackBass said:

So I'm confused what's the point of this post without disclosing the river? These kinds of posts irritate the heck out of me. Glad you caught some fish in a river that you won't tell us about.

F
fishhunter
beaverfan said:
So I'm confused what's the point of this post without disclosing the river? These kinds of posts irritate the heck out of me. Glad you caught some fish in a river that you won't tell us about.

I second that.. :D

M
mgdguy
beaverfan said:

While I do agree it's a little silly to not even give the river name in a report if asked, he did give a good report otherwise, with a few good pics. I think that's most of the point of any catch report :cool:

C
Chedster
I can't blame him for not giving the name, everyone and their mother would show up if he did. He said it was a small coastal river, so you get to go find it yourself.

S
steelhead_stalkers
That is one thing that I think is annoying about this forum compared to a lot of others. There are a lot of beginner fisherman on here, which is cool but telling everyone where you are fishing does nothing for beginner fisherman really and it does nothing for those experienced because they are catching fish on their own chosen river. You look at almost every post where someone shows some pictures of a great day of fishing and you get 20 responses asking where they were fishing instead of just being happy for the person. Would I like to know where the guy in this post is fishing? YES, can I figure it out myself or find coastal native rivers and learn them myself? YES! Chasing reports never works for helping you get into fish anyway, most of the time once you know where someone caught fish, the next day its not the same. If the person wants to tell you where they are fishing they will in the post, if not just be happy for them.

Last edited:
M
metalmania
Who cares where he was fishing. I'm happy he got into some chrome:D, but I could give a $*&% where he was fishing. If he doesn't want to give a name that's perfectly fine with me.

N
nointrntrprts
spoken

spoken

very nicely S.S..... I couldnt agree more. There are so many small coastal streams that do not receive hatch plants and get a good number of natives. a lot of us have done our own homework/footwork to find em and they are gems for that reason. I too find it a little irritating to keep reading these same statements... People get bent at me for not sharing via the internet, they do not understand how much of my time, money, and personal sacrifices I have made to find these gems. This kinda bumms me out for the future of fishing this somewhat endagered species. On a side note, quite a few of our small coastal streams were shut down this year for the first time in history to fishing salmon above certain mile markers... this WILL happen to our steelhead fishing soon on these same rivers/creeks and I for one will not put nails in that coffin, I hope others soon follow suit.
These forums are good for sharing some things, tacticts, methods, bait cures whatevers... but places and pictures of places is not a good thing..... more than locals and members read these boards. Selfish? OK... whatever, but some things are worth being this way for.

A bit long winded and flame on if you wish... we all have our thoughts on this.
mark

T
Troutier Bassier
It dosent really matter unless the place looks nice and you want to fish there.
What matters is what he was using. ;)

L
LeftBank
steelhead_stalkers said:
That is one thing that I think is annoying about this forum compared to a lot of others. There are a lot of beginner fisherman on here, which is cool but telling everyone where you are fishing does nothing for beginner fisherman really and it does nothing for those experienced because they are catching fish on their own chosen river. You look at almost every post where someone shows some pictures of a great day of fishing and you get 20 responses asking where they were fishing instead of just being happy for the person. Would I like to know where the guy in this post is fishing? YES, can I figure it out myself or find coastal native rivers and learn them myself? YES! Chasing reports never works for helping you get into fish anyway, most of the time once you know where someone caught fish, the next day its not the same. If the person wants to tell you where they are fishing they will in the post, if not just be happy for them.

Yes. Have to agree with this. While I'd love to have all the info, I don't think anybody's obligated to voluntarily broadcast any detail that isn't comfortable for them. Nice thing about the reports that include pictures is that a lot of OFFers can figure out for themselves which 'small coastal river' is pictured (even if it can be frustrating for a noob like me), but the Google-powered masses won't find it as a hot tip to start pressuring a small, native watershed. Let the original poster share what they want and if you'd like a bit more info, maybe PM them?

Oh, and nice fish!!!

T
Thuggin4Life
steelhead_stalkers said:

One thing worse than that is planning a trip then seeing pics from were you plan to go. Then asking the guy for advice and seeing him out were he said not to go doing exactly what he told you not to do. Or another thing is when a guy asks you for advice were you have been catching fish and you give it to him and offer more advice if you he wants it. Then seeing a picture a fish that person got from the place he was asking for advice about with the lure photo shopped out of the picture like hes an expert or something (not saying I am an expert). But if the guys doesn't tell but all but shows some thanks for sharing.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I hear ya thuggin unfortunatly thats the way it is sometime. You will be rewarded in the future with fish for helping others out!