Winter Steel on the Clack 1/21

C

Catch 22

Took out the driftboat today and hit the usual spots. Caught this one first on a bobber and jig. Lost another about a half hour later due to me being dumb and not checking the leader after fish #1. I know better. Oh well. We had a great dinner last night of broiled steelhead and rice pilaf. Mmmmm. Yummy!

steelheadjan21.jpg

Water is still moving fast and cold. I found fish to be in more protected water with broken surface or pocket water.

We put in at 10:00 and were out by 1:30. So not bad for a few hours. BTW, I wouldn't have wanted to go any earlier as it was COLD out there!! :shock: Bring those little pocket warmer packs and shove them in your gloves. They are too cool on days like that.

~Jason Bilyeu

M

meluvtrout

congrats Jason. That's a nice looking fish and kudos on the bobber and jig. I couldn't even get them to open their mouth to coon shrimp last weekend... :)

F

FishSchooler

Wheres "usual spots"? :D
nice fish... :clap:

N

ninja2010

way to go, getting into fish on the bobber/jig. nicely done.

can't wait to go out to get me some....

F

FishFinger

Do you make your own jigs?

I mean fir and feathers, or do you like to run jig head and worm?
Hackling with stripped maribu gives it that little something extra. I've done a few in white; but haven't fished them yet.

Last edited:
C

Catch 22

Do you make your own jigs?

I mean fir and feathers, or do you like to run jig head and worm?
Hackling with stripped maribu gives it that little something extra. I've done a few in white; but haven't fished them yet.

I don't make anything that I can buy. I use Fischer Jigs mostly. I also have some First Cast Jigs that I'm sure work just as well. I have used the pink worms more than most, but usually drift them rather than fish them under a float. They do work under a float. I just like the feathered jigs. I know a couple guys like to throw a pink worm tail on a feathered jig and swear by it. Probably a good idea.

Good luck out there and cover all the slower seams right now. Cover water. Don't wait for them to find you! :D

M

meluvtrout

I've never seen a Fischer Jig before, do you mind posting a pic? or refer a website we can look at?

C

Catch 22

I've never seen a Fischer Jig before, do you mind posting a pic? or refer a website we can look at?

fisherjig.png

Pretty basic jig. But they're tied on Owner hooks and last a lot longer than the cheaper jigs.
BTW, this is not one of my favorite colors. It was just handy for a picture.

Good luck out there!

~Jason

M

meluvtrout

That looks pretty straight forward, nothing fancy really. Thanks for sharing...

F

FishFinger

I suffer from the "If I can make it... I won't buy it" syndrome.

Trying to reproduce those jigs specifically is a challenge.

My wife already thinks I'm brain damaged, so running a lead smelter in the garage to form my own jig heads is out of the question.

Not only is it a tricky proposition fishing the maribu under the beads, just getting the beads over the barb and past the shank can be a battle.

It took a while to get a system down to do effectively yet ass backwards at the same time.....

I agree Owners are outstanding hooks.

Right on man, it good to have another jighead in the mix..

F

fishnquest

congrats Jason. That's a nice looking fish and kudos on the bobber and jig. I couldn't even get them to open their mouth to coon shrimp last weekend... :)

me luv trout 2, ok, what the heck is coon shrimp?:shock::think:

it's steelhead season!:clap:! goin out to do battle....

A

ArcticAmoeba

Just another one of those baits...Seems to be a very productive Winter, as well as Summer bait. They reek of the sea if they are cured correctly.

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
I bought a bottle of Guide's Choice Coon Stripe Shrimp last night at Bi Mart for $5.99. Didn't use them today now I'm not sure I want to open the bottle and see if they Reek like the Sea:lol:

F

FishSchooler

I bought a bottle of Guide's Choice Coon Stripe Shrimp last night at Bi Mart for $5.99. Didn't use them today now I'm not sure I want to open the bottle and see if they Reek like the Sea:lol:

Eek, guide's choice is more like guide's crap... their "eggs" turn into a dark, thick, gooey mush after a month in the freezer or a days of fishin... yuck that stuff sent shivers down my spine... The shrimp probably better though because its relatively solid...