Winter run

W
Wolfden
Does anyone know when the winter run starts ... I'v been going to Prescott beach for the last couple weeks but havent had any luck

thanks for any and all info

Wolf

F
frodog
I have heard of fish being caught but I normally dont fish down there til later in the month. Also try fishing closer to the bank with the stong flows we have been having.

C
ChezJfrey
frodog said:
I have heard of fish being caught but I normally dont fish down there til later in the month. Also try fishing closer to the bank with the stong flows we have been having.

I don't fish the Columbia, so excuse this if I'm off base, but looking at catch counts for the last 3 years, it doesn't appear many fish are caught on the Columbia Nov-Feb. Could just be that a lot of people focus effort elsewhere, but perhaps just not good odds there during those months?

W
Wolfden
Thanks for your input .. I think i'll still try my luck , i'm retired so I have the time too put in lol

Dennis

O
OnTheDrop
Wolfden said:
Thanks for your input .. I think i'll still try my luck , i'm retired so I have the time too put in lol

Dennis

Good luck! Plunking for steelhead can be fun sometimes! Prescott beach from March into summer is hot for springers and then transitions into summer steelhead nicely. Assuming you already know this but just thought i'd share.

F
Fish-N-Chips
I would say go to Gnat Cr. if you want to do a little hiking/bank fishing for steelhead. The last time I talked to the Hatchery guy up there he said Jan/Feb are best months.