Winter Chinook!!

A
adambomb
Hooked up with a monster nook in the upper river this morning. It bit a pink steelhead jig of all things. Fought it hard for at least 15 minutes before it politely returned my jig to me. My GL2 is 10-40lb, 10'6" and it was doubled over big time. My arm will be sore in the morning for sure, but I won't let it slow me down!!

brandon4455
brandon4455
very intresting. sounds like it was an epic battle. a late chinook is always a pleasent suprise. thanks for sharing your story

A
adambomb
brandon4455 said:
very intresting. sounds like it was an epic battle. a late chinook is always a pleasent suprise. thanks for sharing your story

From what I understand, this fish was not late for anything!! The brief glimpse it gave me was CHROME!! I guess there is more than one coastal river with a winter Chinook run.

F
fishingfreak
Thats sounds like a great battle. When that happens to me that makes even more determined get back out there and pursue the Monster. Good Luck and go get him!

FF

brandon4455
brandon4455
adambomb said:
From what I understand, this fish was not late for anything!! The brief glimpse it gave me was CHROME!! I guess there is more than one coastal river with a winter Chinook run.

wow. must have came in with all the rain we had. i heard winter chinook have a habbit of breaking rods. consider yourself lucky :lol:

B
birdlegs86
What was the water level like? And is that river easy to fish on foot for us fly fisherman?

A
adambomb
birdlegs86 said:
What was the water level like? And is that river easy to fish on foot for us fly fisherman?

It was a little high but on the drop, green with about 3' visibility. Without private property access, I'd say your bank options are limited.

B
birdlegs86
How about the Wilson or Kilchis? I've fished the Kilchis in the past, but just around the park. Any advice?

A
adambomb
I know nothing about the Kilchis, but the Wilson has TONS of bank access and TONS of people fishing it.

B
birdlegs86
crap...ok, one more question to you or anyone. For fly fishing, what is the best to use on any of those rivers? Egg patterns? Color?

J
JeannaJigs
Crazy. That's the second chinook I know of hitting a pink worm jig. I guess if you get it in their face they're gonna get angry and hit whatever lol but it's not anything you would ever expect, especially in January.

J
JeannaJigs
My bad I guess you just said pink steelhead jig and not worm and jig, but still.

A
adambomb
Its a little bit of both now that you mention it.... 13-pinkdang-er.jpg

Last edited:
J
JeannaJigs
Ah ha. I've been tying a similar pattern but with a rabbit and short hackle collar. Natives and cutthroat seem to love it. Can't decide if it's more effective or not than just a jig head and plain worm. Was totally shocked to see a springer swallow a pink worm jig. Maybe there's somethin to it.

brandon4455
brandon4455
i heard jigs are becoming popular for chinook now, as a lot of people are starting to catch em.