Winter/boat motor

T
TTFishon
My boat sits outside. Do I need to wrap the motor in a blanket due to this cold snap?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Good question

Good question

Good question. Mine also sits outside now. What is the recommended care?

R
rainman
I keep my boat in the garage. This is the first year inside, last year it was outside. I did keep a small tarp over it. I use an ethanol treatment every tank and haven't had issue one. it couldn't hurt to bring the motor into the garage, if possible.

T
Thuggin4Life
I think if you just run the motor out of gas you are fine. If my boat sits for more than a week or so i run the gas out first. My motor is in the garage but it doesn't get much warmer in the garage than outside. But i wouldn.t like my motor to get rained or snowed on but im sure it doesn't hurt much.

G
GDBrown
Just make sure there is no WATER inside. some people don't seem to get it all out and end up with cracks were they didn't think they could happen.

T
TTFishon
I went ahead a wrapped a blanket around it last night before heading to work. Thanks for the replies.

G
Growbug
I second GD Brown. Water will be the killer. Even the smallest amount can wreck seals, etc. or put tiny cracks into the alloys.

T
TTFishon
OK. I hope there isn't water in it then.

D
diggindan
When the temps get down to the 20's I tent my motor with a small heater under it at the lowest setting.
Common problem is the impeller freezing in the housing and tearing to bits when you start the motor. No waterpump = cooked motor.:(
You can also possibly get water trapped in the cooling jacket which expands when it freezes and busts things up.:(:(
Low temps don't effect gas much. Moisture is a year round worry.Use a good additive.
Cheers, Dan