Winchester Bay salmon

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
Fished yesterday the Coho bite is still off the hook Hootchies, spoons, and plug cuts all worked. 300' of water a bit north can't wait I will be back on Saturday.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Got a late start today and fished the river until 11 with no bites. Didn't mark much but lots of pressure and lots of seals out there. Bait was everywhere. I know there are chinook around but I'm thinking they're pretty scarce. Decided to go out for some coho. Fished the ocean from about 11:30 to 1:30. Released 6 wild fish and kept 1 clipped fish. All fish were caught in 250' to 275' of water with line counters at 31' to 53'. Back rod had 6 ounces and front rods had 10.

Best set up was a 360 flasher with a pink hoochie and a chunk of herring.

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
Fished Saturday the ocean was great, took a bit to find the fish. We moved way north and found them several triples 15 in the boat but only 1 hatchery. But a great day my daughter pulled on a lot of fish and had a blast, and my soon to be 90 year old Grandpa was there to watch it.

C
Clbagshaw
Fished Friday landed over a dozen natives with 6 clippers we had 4 people in the boat. Probably had over 50 bites. We fished Saturday with 3 people probably still caught over a dozen natives but only one clipper. Seems like the hatchery fish have moved on and these fish are a different batch. Overall was a good weekend with a ocean that was like a lake.

Reactions: Admin
jamisonace
jamisonace
Clbagshaw said:
Fished Friday landed over a dozen natives with 6 clippers we had 4 people in the boat. Probably had over 50 bites. We fished Saturday with 3 people probably still caught over a dozen natives but only one clipper. Seems like the hatchery fish have moved on and these fish are a different batch. Overall was a good weekend with a ocean that was like a lake.
I wonder why you're missing so many bites. We missed two in two hours and were 7 for 7 on those that got hooked. What's your set up?

C
Clbagshaw
jamisonace said:
I wonder why you're missing so many bites. We missed two in two hours and were 7 for 7 on those that got hooked. What's your set up?
we had a lot of short bites but we run 2 4/0 hoochie, plug cuts, brad lures they seemed to bite on anything just seemed like a lot of them did not want to take it.

Reactions: jamisonace
jamisonace
jamisonace
I run 3/0 4/0. I put the trailing hook behind the hoochie farther than you might expect with the herring chunk on the top hook in the skirt. I run whole red label herring or anything small with the top hook through the snout and the trailing hook as far back as I can and still get it to bend. I'm far from an expert but I rarely lose fish.

C
Clbagshaw
jamisonace said:
I run 3/0 4/0. I put the trailing hook behind the hoochie farther than you might expect with the herring chunk on the top hook in the skirt. I run whole red label herring or anything small with the top hook through the snout and the trailing hook as far back as I can and still get it to bend. I'm far from an expert but I rarely lose fish.
That is about the same setup we had run. I know we have had days before using the same setups and land every bite we have. Some days there stubborn fish.

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
I have went to single 6/0 big river hooks behind the hootchies this year the hook ups have been much better and easier to release natives.

D
Diamond Lake Charlie
What shape is the ocean in. I have an 18'7" and I am hesitant about going out, especially when the waves are taller than the top on my boat. I have been out in 20 and 22 footers and there is a bit of a difference

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
Sunday looks like a stellar day if I didn't have plans I would go Sunday for sure I have a 20' boat.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Clbagshaw said:
That is about the same setup we had run. I know we have had days before using the same setups and land every bite we have. Some days there stubborn fish.
They definitely bite different from day to day but the most consistent way to increase hook ups is a small trailing hook that has the pointy part very exposed at the very end of your offering.

C
Clbagshaw
jamisonace said:
They definitely bite different from day to day but the most consistent way to increase hook ups is a small trailing hook that has the pointy part very exposed at the very end of your offering.

Agreed

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
Any recent reports from the ocean I hear it has died way down going tomorrow I am thinking of heading north towards Florence unless someone says different.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Bo Peep said:
Any recent reports from the ocean I hear it has died way down going tomorrow I am thinking of heading north towards Florence unless someone says different.
No reports but by now I'd be focusing on the river if my boat wasn't in the shop.

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
Fished the last three days north about 2 miles in 280-300 FOW Friday we ended one short of our limit releasing about 10 Nates the wind started and said that was enough. Saturday woke up to a sloppy ocean but got 6 clippers in a row and then the ocean laid down and we got our final two. Yesterday went 6 for 10 in an hour and back in by 8AM. I have not seen fishing like that in years Gramps had a great weekend boating many fish and enjoying the ocean at 90 years old.

Reactions: Denneroll