Winchester Bay in July

R
Russ Huelle
Hey guys I am new to the forum as this is my first post. My family and I have a trip planned over the 4th of July and I am wondering if the salmon fishing and crabbing is any good that time of year. If it is where is the best place to fish/crab? Also what is the best rigging for salmon? We will have a 20' Thunder Jet for a boat so if the bar is not to bad we would go out to the open water if the fishing is better out there. Any info would be great. It is going to be our first time fishing down there.
Thanks.

T
Thuggin4Life
I like to troll plug cut herring with or without a flasher. You can also run spinners. never been out over the bar but in the bay its a bit early for salmon but im sure there would be a good chance to get them out in the open ocean.

24maxxum
Hi Russ I'am a newby to this site also. I fish winchester bay as much as the bar will let me get out and at this time year you are talking about it can be real hit and miss. With the new rule for the restriction line as far as crabbing in the bay if the bar is closed it is right at the marina as you go out into the river so you won't even be able to crab in half moon bay when the bar is closed. Not to many people know about this new rule yet. I would suggest either going to Newport or charleston this time of year. Good luck and have a good time wear ever you go.

Last edited:
Reactions: OnTheFly
W
wormosa
man winchester bay used to be the coolest place for fishing and crabbing back in the day.... that was 30 some yrs ago, my grandpa used to commercial fish out of there.... :D

A
autofisher
My experience with Winchester Bay at that time of year, is that it truly is hit and miss. My advice..... if you're going to make the trip, once you get past the bar.... go out till the water's right around 300 feet and start trolling herring. That's where and what I've had my best luck on. Watch out for wayward crab pots and sea lions....... or if you've got the gas tank for it....and if someone is willing to show you where it is... there's a great halibut hole that's about 28 miles off shore that seems to produce most of the time.

R
Russ Huelle
Thanks for all the info guys. We will be camping at Discovery Point for the weekend and thought it would be fun to take the boat down to try the fishing. Any thoughts on bottom fishing since it sounds like salmon and crabbing may be hit and miss.