Winchester Bay Fishing Reports

D
Diamond Lake Charlie
Anybody heard of seen any action on the Umpqua and if so where? Doc said I could go but I cannot lift anything major yet.

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
I fished 3 days this last weekend saw two fish being fought nothing landed, I never had a bite in three days. Fishing was really slow and the grass in the river was horrible bad. With that said I will try again this weekend hopefully they have to be coming soon.

G
Gulfstream
My buddy fished the last 3 days,3 guys 3 fish.:(

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
I hope it gets better or the ocean lays down. We fished 4 rods per day I would have been so excited just to get a take down.

D
Diamond Lake Charlie
Thanks for the information, just one more question if you don't mind. Are you above or below or in the middle of big bend?

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
I fished all the water from 17 to the 101 bridge. I spent a lot of time right at the top of the big bend that's where the 200+ boats were.

U
Utahutes
Going out on thursday. Have never fished in the bay usually wait until their in the umpqua. I'm a bank fisherman looking for place to fish from bank. Any suggestions I would be fore ever thankful.

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
Utahutes said:
Going out on thursday. Have never fished in the bay usually wait until their in the umpqua. I'm a bank fisherman looking for place to fish from bank. Any suggestions I would be fore ever thankful.
Go To half moon Bay in Winchester Bay and throw large spinners there will be others there. There is some local bait shops that sale spinners to use there is a local version that is very popular. Every year there is several salmon caught from the beach from half moon bay to the entrance of the southern basin.

Reactions: Utahutes
U
Utahutes
Duckcross said:
Go To half moon Bay in Winchester Bay and throw large spinners there will be others there. There is some local bait shops that sale spinners to use there is a local version that is very popular. Every year there is several salmon caught from the beach from half moon bay to the entrance of the southern basin.
Better to fish with incoming tide (high) or does it really matter

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
Utahutes said:
Better to fish with incoming tide (high) or does it really matter
Usually fish the incoming tide that seems the best.

Reactions: Utahutes
D
Diamond Lake Charlie
Thanks for the info. I never fish the crowds. I don't do real well but I have less problems and have actually caught more fish that way. I have to wait until I clear with the doc on the 15th then I can go.

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
Found one fishing the Umpqua river below the 101 this weekend saw 1 other caught real slow but it was my cousins first salmon she had a blast and says she is addicted now.
IMG_1662.jpg

G
Gulfstream
200 plus boats....... NO THANKS

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
Ocean Coho sucked Friday and Saturday a good Chinook bite did happen Saturday at the jaws we had four bites and lost two hogs.

Reactions: Admin
U
Utahutes
Duckcross said:
Usually fish the incoming tide that seems the best.
How About fishing low tide. Was thinking any water movement would be better then none

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
Utahutes said:
How About fishing low tide. Was thinking any water movement would be better then none
Usually the incoming tide is the best as it moves fish in with the tide as they move up river.

The Guides Forecast
The Guides Forecast
Chinook are moving through the bay and fishing near the jaws with herring is fair. I had a friend get a nice chinook and release a couple silvers at the jaws on Sunday.

F
Fumus
Hello all. Am hoping to take a couple of coworkers to Winchester Bay this coming Friday (the 16th), for their first attempts at crabbing. Anyone have any reports for how folks are doing off the docks? Also, I told coworkers that while pots are soaking I like to jig for herring if they are in. I'm even thinking about tossing curly tail jigs in the hopes of catching a flounder. Never caught one before, but a last year my youngest child caught a baby flounder while jigging for herring, so Im guessing that their might be some bigger ones around. And finally, a friend of mine said some coho were being caught from the bank now on spinners and such. Any current info (crabbing, herring, coho, and flounder) would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
our neighbors did OK crabbing OFF the Whinchester crabbing dock during September, one day they got 18 keepers, they averaged probably 6 per trip for 2 people.

Fummus
Fummus
Fished Winchester bay from the shore last weekend with my middle child and a couple of friends. Fished both Saturday and Sunday and while the conditions were calmer on Saturday, we caught a good variety of fish both days. Species caught included lingcod, black rockfish, striped surf perch, kelp greenling and staghorn sculpins that were bid enough to eat. Never ate the staghorns before and am happy to say that they are tasty if big enough to mess with. There were only two lingcod caught and both were 19" so we let em go to get bigger. Was by far the greatest variety of fish Ive caught from shore on a single trip, and catching the black rock fish and lingcod was especially cool since they were caught on swimbaits (the proverbial white curly tail 4" grub). One of the fellas fishing with us really enjoyed casting the plastics as he said it reminded him of freshwater bass fishing, with the added bonus of not knowing exactly what you'd catch next. The greenling and perch and one of the blacks were caught using a high low rig with sandshrimp.

Reactions: Admin and rogerdodger
Top Bottom