Wily keeper sturgeon

S
steelheader19
hey does somebody know if the willy will be open of the retention of keeper sturgeon??:think:

B
beaverfan
They haven't announced yet but probably not.

T
todd_brooks
I talked to a stater on Saturday and he said their was no way it would stay open.

J
JeannaJigs
Yesterday I was told by a biologist doing creel surveying at cathedral park, that it was almost most definitely going to be a negatory good buddy on the sturgeon.

S
ShdwmnkyX
Is that for above the falls too, or is that still open seven days a week?

B
beaverfan
That's still open.

S
ShdwmnkyX
Thank you.

T
the_intimidator03
so just to make sure im reading all this right... above the falls on the willy, no quota? sturgeon retention all year?

B
beaverfan
the_intimidator03 said:
so just to make sure im reading all this right... above the falls on the willy, no quota? sturgeon retention all year?

Yup, 7 days a week.

T
the_intimidator03
Thats what I was thinking and just wanted to verify it... Thanks for the prompt Response BF

M
mikeredding
the_intimidator03 said:
above the falls on the willy, no quota? sturgeon retention all year?

How do they get up there? Is there a way around the falls? I have been by there but am not real familiar with it.

T
the_intimidator03
well I do recall reading some information on it altho not sure where BUT around harrisburg I believe it was they used to stock sturgeon in the willy. I have heard of them being caught all the way up to Dexter Dam on the middle fork willy,

M
mikeredding
the_intimidator03 said:
well I do recall reading some information on it altho not sure where BUT around harrisburg I believe it was they used to stock sturgeon in the willy. I have heard of them being caught all the way up to Dexter Dam on the middle fork willy,

I know they get them at Dexter. I saw one caught there many years ago. I was just wondering if there is a way for them to get past they falls or not. Obviously there is enough fish above the falls to sustain a season so I would think that there is a way.

T
the_intimidator03
As for getting around the falls i have no clue... never been there LOL

F
fish4life
If you google it you will find out some info on it. They allow a private hatchery to take two or three female sturgeon to spawn in exchange the state gets half of the sturgeon fry. They plant them in at harrisburg from what I understand this is still going on.

B
beaverfan
There is a fish ladder and a locks on the Willamette at the falls. They were also stocked at one time.

Oh and it's official now, retention is now closed on the lower Willy.

G
GDBrown
beaverfan said:
......Oh and it's official now, retention is now closed on the lower Willy.

So now it's OK for us to go out and catch an Oversize fish, right? How about tomorrow.? Does the timing of the tides make a difference when we need to be out there? If I go to Hagg this afternoon and catch some stockers could we use them for sturgeon bait with a little scent added?