Wilsonville sturgeon

S
sturgeonvirgin
Hello everyone , new to the forum and to sturgeon fishing. I took my new boat (well new to me ) out last weekend on my first sturgeon trip ,we fished around meldrum bar, caught a few small ones ,no keepers. Does anyone know if there are sturgeon to be had around wilsonville? Dont see much about this area on the forum. Also, is it correct that you can only keep fish 3 days a week ? I can't find this in the regs anywhere. Any help or tips to help me land the BIG ONE! would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
S
SNDSLGR
sturgeonvirgin said:
Hello everyone , new to the forum and to sturgeon fishing. I took my new boat (well new to me ) out last weekend on my first sturgeon trip ,we fished around meldrum bar, caught a few small ones ,no keepers. Does anyone know if there are sturgeon to be had around wilsonville? Dont see much about this area on the forum. Also, is it correct that you can only keep fish 3 days a week ? I can't find this in the regs anywhere. Any help or tips to help me land the BIG ONE! would be appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to OFF. Lots of info and people willing to share, there are a bunch of threads about sturgeon, start reading or do a search. If you dont find your answear then just ask.

Thurs, Fri, Sat only below Willamette falls. It has been debated that its 7 days a week above the falls. Its 7 days the way I read it but you should make your own choice, if you are wrong it will be your ticket to pay. Also note, you can fish for sturgeon 7 days a week in any water but only RETAIN them 3 days.

I have never heard of sturgeon being that high but you never know. I would say the 20 minute drive to the OC/sellwood area would be well worth the time spent though. St. johns area is also popular along with Chinook landing to Dodson on the Columbia. Time on the water is your best tool, as usual.

B
BlackTalon
Wilsonville Sturgeon

Wilsonville Sturgeon

I have caught sturgeon as far upriver as Corvallis and Albany. I have read a lot about sturgeon caught in the Newberg area but have only tried once and not been successful (lost anchor). I would agree though that areas below the falls at Oregon City have been much more productive for me personally. If you are looking for a keeper these areas are best.

If you are really looking for the "big one" then up near Bonneville Dam on the Columbia is the area to target. This area is not for new boaters though.

Evan

S
sturgeonvirgin
thanks for the replies, I am thinking I will try the sellwood bridge next, looks like some pretty consistent deep water there. Where is the best ramp to put in at ?. I live in Salem and someone up there told me wilsonville would be a good sturgeon spot. I have owned several boats but fished only lakes,Decided I want to get into fishing for larger fish. I definitely will not be on the columbia, I don't think I am experienced enough on the rivers , the willamette is about as big as I want to go right now. Anyway, Thanks for the advice and I have my camera on the boat so when I get akeeper ,I'll post it for you to see. Thanks again !

S
SNDSLGR
I dont know which ramp is closest to sellwood, but would like to know also.

I will say, dont be fooled into thinking the Willamette is a beginers river. Aside from Dodson to Bonneville area, I would say the willy is very similar to the Columbia. Be carefull! Be familiar with your anchor set up and be willing and able to cut your anchor line if the **** hits the fan. No need to be freaked out, just be aware.

F
frodog
I belive there is a ramp at kellog creek park it is near elk rock island on the willemette. And also a tip on hookin winter sturgeon use a lot lighter tackel then normal I have heard of guys using rods rated at 20-35 pounds. also the smallest weight you can use and hold position 35# braid is a good bet for line. Also know that sturgeon are not always in the deepest darkest holes some of my best fish were caught in 25 ft. of water.

Also remember when fishing our rivers it is especially important to practice safe anchoring techniques 5-7:1 ratio of line to depth.

S
sturgeon slayer
catching keepers

catching keepers

If you want to catch keepers fish the portland harbor i caught 13 fish and one keeper 41.5 in 3 hours on 12/18/09

F
Fish Fight
When the Columbia starts to run colder than the Willamette the fish will nose into the Willy.
After the first of the year the Bonneville Pool opens up for keepers. Hood River has a great boat ramp with sturgeon water near by. It's a nice fishery for scenery and solitude. It use to be a great fishery for keepers but over the past 8 years or so it's changed for the worst but still worth the trip. Check the forecast and make sure there's no west wind in it.