Wilson trout advice for a novice

M
Matt G
I've been fly fishing for just a couple years, and want to get to know the Wilson better. I'm taking my fly rod (and my daughter with her spin rod) to the TSF Friday. Looking for trout, not steelies.

- Planning to hike & fish upriver from the Forestry Center. Am I better fishing the main stream this time of year or hiking up some of the creeks? From reading threads it looks like some have had trout success with the latter.

- Fly recommendations? I have some Elk Hair Caddis for dries and Hares Ear wets that should be small enough for stream trout.

Any other general info the OFF braintrust cares to pass on would be much appreciated! Thanks

S
Spydeyrch
When Friday are you guys going?

I have only been to the wilson a few times and I remember last year around august time, the water was really low and very clear. Just spectacular!! You see the trout crusing around. Made me itchin to get a fly rod, which I do now. :D

Anywho. I think, if I remember correctly, I stopped around the blackjack hole (mile marker 21) and went down stream from there.

As far as the side creeks, I am not sure. Check the regs as I think some of them may be closed for fishing.

Good luck!

I wish I could go with you guys as it is very enticing. Who knows, I may end up being
"sick". :shock: :lol:

-Spydey

troutdude
troutdude
Dear Mr. Boss,

Please excuse Spydey from work this Friday. The poor lad is suffering from a terribly debilitating disease known as "haven'tfishedenoughlatelyitis". While his diagnosis is dire, his prognosis looks rather rosy. The only known cure is a date with his fly rod. So, he will return on Monday fully recharged and ready for anything.

Most sincerely,

Dr. OFF

P.S. Matt, I hope that you and your youngin' have a great outing together. I have not fished the Wilson, but from all that I have read on here...it should be good fishin! Good luck.

B
beaverfan
Pretty much all of the creeks are closed to fishing so your going to want to stick to the mainstem. Trout fishing has been good right now. I was out there the other day and a small black spinner was the hot lure. Biggest fish of the day was 16 inches. Most of the bigger fish I've caught out of there have been below mile marker 21 so I would hit lower in the river if your after bigger trout. I gotta mention though I've been seeing a lot of people keeping trout over 16 inches which is ILLEGAL so if you catch a larger one please release it. On the north coast streams any trout over 16 are considered steelhead and must be tagged but you can't keep native steelhead.

C
ChezJfrey
beaverfan said:
I gotta mention though I've been seeing a lot of people keeping trout over 16 inches which is ILLEGAL so if you catch a larger one please release it. On the north coast streams any trout over 16 are considered steelhead and must be tagged but you can't keep native steelhead.

This is why I was so bummed because the largest trout I've landed out of the Wilson so far was 15 inches. I let trout go regardless, but if I had caught one over 16 that day, I could have technically claimed I caught a native steelhead. Game won on a technicality so-to-speak, LOL!

B
beaverfan
Keep at it bro, the rain the last couple days should help the steelies move around a bit. I saw 2 chrome as could be summers just below m.m. 14, they were on the move though so I didn't get a good cast at em.

M
Matt G
Thanks for the tips everyone! OFF rules.

Spydey: Probably heading out this Friday. I'll co-sign your sick note with troutdude. ;)

Beaverfan, grrrr... I was wondering about regs on the creeks. The book says the south fork & main stream are open, and then has one note saying streams not listed are all closed. I was hoping that wasn't as bad as it sounds but... sounds like it's as bad as it sounds. Thanks for clarifying. I am aware of the 16" limit, though if I hook into fish that big I'll be thrilled and happy to put them back. After a photo op of course :D I don't have a steelhead tag anyway, but wouldn't keeping them be legal if I did (& it was a hatchery fish)?

And thanks for the note on MP 21. That's about 8-10 miles downstream from where I was planning to start. I'll follow your advice!

How did you fish your spinner? My daughter's 13 so she's capable of varying tactics, but she never fished a river before. Only lakes.

B
beaverfan
Yes it would be legal if you had a tag and caught a hatchery trout over 16 and tagged it. The problem is there aren't any stocked trout in the Wilson so it really would be a steelhead. LOL And yes you are correct about the south fork being open, so is the little north fork if I remember right. You guys should have a great time! I was just casting towards structure, letting it sink and reeling slowly. It was a sunny day and the water was super clear so the fish were tucked up under the rocks but wouldn't hesitate to bite by any means.

S
Spydeyrch
troutdude said:
Dear Mr. Boss,

Please excuse Spydey from work this Friday. The poor lad is suffering from a terribly debilitating disease known as "haven'tfishedenoughlatelyitis". While his diagnosis is dire, his prognosis looks rather rosy. The only known cure is a date with his fly rod. So, he will return on Monday fully recharged and ready for anything.

Most sincerely,

Dr. OFF

P.S. Matt, I hope that you and your youngin' have a great outing together. I have not fished the Wilson, but from all that I have read on here...it should be good fishin! Good luck.

Thanks troutdude! I might print that off and give it to both bosses: My work boss and the wife!! hahahah :lol:

Oh if only it were so easy as to just give a note.

-Spydey