Wilson Trask steelheading tomorrow

T
troutmasta
Gonna head toward Tilli in the morn with the father in law-

Any one gonna be out?

jamisonace
jamisonace
I wish I was up there with you. Instead, I'll be on the Siuslaw hoping some fish have moved in. Anyone know the water color around Whitaker?

Good luck out there Jeff.

Casting Call
Casting Call
troutmasta said:
Gonna head toward Tilli in the morn with the father in law-

Any one gonna be out?
I'll be theire! Tony

T
troutmasta
jamisonace said:
I wish I was up there with you. Instead, I'll be on the Siuslaw hoping some fish have moved in. Anyone know the water color around Whitaker?

Good luck out there Jeff.
I do not know the water color around Whitaker...but goo luck and I wish you were up here too.

Casting Call said:
I'll be theire! Tony
I'll be in a silver Audi hitting every hole on the river. Say howdy-
Jeff

W
waco
I heard the Wilson was pretty slow today. How did you do?

J
JonT
Drove from Newport to Hood River today via Tillamook and saw a lot of the Wilson along the way - looked high but fishable. Rain was much heavier at 1000-1500'.

Casting Call
Casting Call
waco said:
I heard the Wilson was pretty slow today. How did you do?
Waco nice seeing you again today! It was very,very slow. My friend was very impressed with your store. Glad to hear that your reel repair business is taking OFF so well. See you soon. Tony

B
bagold53
It was nice in the morning but at 12pm or so the heavy showers were getting bad. 0/0. still was happy to be on the river vs at home.

T
troutmasta
Waco!
How have you been?
The river was high, the water was perfect high water though it was deep green. No fish, one solid strike but no hook up.
didn't see much action either. Soon.
Come around more OFFTen.

Tight Lines and Merry Christmas

G
Gravel_Bottom
Fished the Wilson yesterday (saturday 27th) constant rain, hard at times. I caught my very first steelhead (I think). I let it go as it was native. River high but fairly clear, I was 2.5 miles below Lee's camp using a pink corky and yarn. I believe this was a baby steelhead that had not been out to sea yet. Please correct me if I am wrong, just learning, first post here thanks for all the previous info/posts. I've been soaking up as much as possible speaking of which, I need rain gear! :) IMG_0834.jpg

Last edited:
C
ChezJfrey
troutmasta said:
Waco!
How have you been?
The river was high, the water was perfect high water though it was deep green. No fish, one solid strike but no hook up.
didn't see much action either. Soon.
Come around more OFFTen.

Tight Lines and Merry Christmas

Ugh! Hit the Wilson today and it looked beautiful! But not a single fish for me? Witnessed just one caught. Baffled. Confused. Shoulda limited within 20 minutes, LOL

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Gravel_Bottom said:
Fished the Wilson yesterday (saturday 27th) constant rain, hard at times. I caught my very first steelhead (I think). I let it go as it was native. River high but fairly clear, I was 2.5 miles below Lee's camp using a pink corky and yarn. I believe this was a baby steelhead that had not been out to sea yet. Please correct me if I am wrong, just learning, first post here thanks for all the previous info/posts. I've been soaking up as much as possible speaking of which, I need rain gear!

good decision to release it regardless, full marks. did it have lots of spots? hard to tell but looks like it might be a searun cutty...cheers, roger

J
jkyser01
Weird question but was it missing an eye? I swear to you I was fishing by the footbridge Saturday morning and thought I had a strike. When I reeled in all there was was a fish eye! Tried to take a pic but couldn't get phone out of waders.

O
OnTheDrop
I can't tell you how many little wild Steely's I've caught on the Wilson. Between 16-22 inches.

G
Gravel_Bottom
jkyser01 said:
Weird question but was it missing an eye? I swear to you I was fishing by the footbridge Saturday morning and thought I had a strike. When I reeled in all there was was a fish eye! Tried to take a pic but couldn't get phone out of waders.

You know it did have one weird eye that didn't look like a normal fish eye, bloodshot red. That would be funny if you snagged the eye of the fish that I landed. LOL!:yikes:

Bought some rain gear at Cabelas today so no more excuses from me for not going out.

S
Steelheader4Life
Gravel_Bottom said:
Fished the Wilson yesterday (saturday 27th) constant rain, hard at times. I caught my very first steelhead (I think). I let it go as it was native. River high but fairly clear, I was 2.5 miles below Lee's camp using a pink corky and yarn. I believe this was a baby steelhead that had not been out to sea yet. Please correct me if I am wrong, just learning, first post here thanks for all the previous info/posts. I've been soaking up as much as possible speaking of which, I need rain gear!

Looks like a one salt steelhead to me. I have been seeing a lot of those the last two years over on the Nestucca.

G
Gravel_Bottom
Steelheader4Life said:
Looks like a one salt steelhead to me. I have been seeing a lot of those the last two years over on the Nestucca.

Thanks Steelheader.. I've never filled out a tag before (never had the opportunity) but I will for this one.

T
troutmasta
Gravel_Bottom said:
Thanks Steelheader.. I've never filled out a tag before (never had the opportunity) but I will for this one.

You dont need to tag C&R fish but keep at it and you'll get an Inker' soon enough. Nice Fish

S
Steelheader4Life
Gravel_Bottom said:

Definitely don't need to tag a fish you release, even if it is fin clipped! For steelhead/salmon you only have to put the species, location, and month/day just so you know for when you get your first bonker ;)

G
Gravel_Bottom
Thanks for the info guys! Hope to see you on the river one day soon.