Wilson River steelhead won't bite >:(

F
Fred
I fished all day at the Wilson River at the hole by jones creek about 13 steelhead only one bite. I used power bait steelhead plastic worms, all types of lures and other then one bite on a little Cleo they would not bite. We would present our lures right in front of their faces and they would just turn and run away. Now I might just give up and say that they have lockjaw but the one that bit my lure chased after it and nailed it I just did not set the hook and he spit it. So any advice on what I did wrong or what to do next time.

EOBOY
EOBOY
Fred, I doubt if there is 1 let alone 13 steelhead in the Wilson right now.

C_Run
C_Run
I've never been to the Wilson but have had the same experience. I've concluded that if you see them, they've already seen you and you might as well forget it. Low, clear water is the worst. I have sight fished steelhead successfully by being sneaky and casting from behind a tree trunk a time or two. I know the frustration.

Reactions: Fred
Casting Call
Casting Call
Hi Fred! Metal heads are a decent of trout, try using a dry fly or scent on a corky just off the bottom. I fish the Wilson all the time. Run and gun all the turn-outs that you can in a 4h. period. Good luck and LET US KNOW HOW YOU DO!!!!! Tony

F
Fred
EOBOY;n614005 said:
Fred, I doubt if there is 1 let alone 13 steelhead in the Wilson right now.

There is tho ;3

F
Fred
Casting Call;n614009 said:
Hi Fred! Metal heads are a decent of trout, try using a dry fly or scent on a corky just off the bottom. I fish the Wilson all the time. Run and gun all the turn-outs that you can in a 4h. period. Good luck and LET US KNOW HOW YOU DO!!!!! Tony

Thanks i guess i won't waste my time at one spot next time.

F
Fred
C_Run;n614007 said:
I've never been to the Wilson but have had the same experience. I've concluded that if you see them, they've already seen you and you might as well forget it. Low, clear water is the worst. I have sight fished steelhead successfully by being sneaky and casting from behind a tree trunk a time or two. I know the frustration.

They were not really spooked about us the one that took my lure was about 7 feet away from me. They got scared of the lure and the line tho. Maybe ill be more sneaky next time see if it works :D

hobster
hobster
Fred;n614029 said:
Thanks i guess i won't waste my time at one spot next time.

When tossing a spinner or spoon I am always on the move. Either an aggressive fish will hit it right away or they won't hit at all. I've had a lot of first cast hookups with hardware. Also, in low clear water steelhead will hit # 1 or 2 spinners, 3 would be the max i'd use. Small black corkies with a little black yarn for drift fishing, killigan's go to and I've seen him have lots of success.