Wilson River fishing report

F
flux
Went out yesterday to a pullout that was near mile marker 15. Not sure I can see it on the interactive map. It was a great spot with a couple of deep pools, lots of shelf rock to walk on and a sandy beach. A couple of friends came with me and we tried the deep pools first, but got skunked. My friends gave up earlier and went home to watch the OSU game. I stayed on and half an hour later, I found the right spot and got a bunch of bites, landed 3 - one 7 incher, and two 12 inchers. One of the 12 inchers broke off my fly just as I was about to grab him. It probably a poorly tied knot. The little one was either a rainbow or a baby steelhead. The other 12 incher was a nice cutthroat.

All in all a good day! I broke out the MOAL leeches to try and get a bigger fish but only got one bite early on and then nothing, so then I switched to nymphs and a sculpin fly.

[update] Oops. Just read on ifish - someone reported a mudslide at the Wilson below Cedar Creek and the river's now blown out. Bummer.

Last edited:
C
civicfun
wilson looks horrible i think there is a good size mudslide up on cedar creek. might be a while before it turns on.

C
Coho Kid
civicfun said:
wilson looks horrible i think there is a good size mudslide up on cedar creek. might be a while before it turns on.

Thanks for the update

kirkster
kirkster
flux said:
Went out yesterday to a pullout that was near mile marker 15. Not sure I can see it on the interactive map. It was a great spot with a couple of deep pools, lots of shelf rock to walk on and a sandy beach. A couple of friends came with me and we tried the deep pools first, but got skunked. My friends gave up earlier and went home to watch the OSU game. I stayed on and half an hour later, I found the right spot and got a bunch of bites, landed 3 - one 7 incher, and two 12 inchers. One of the 12 inchers broke off my fly just as I was about to grab him. It probably a poorly tied knot. The little one was either a rainbow or a baby steelhead. The other 12 incher was a nice cutthroat.

All in all a good day! I broke out the MOAL leeches to try and get a bigger fish but only got one bite early on and then nothing, so then I switched to nymphs and a sculpin fly.

[update] Oops. Just read on ifish - someone reported a mudslide at the Wilson below Cedar Creek and the river's now blown out. Bummer.
thanks for the update.:) but whats up with reading ifish:naughty:

C
checkursix
So that's what happened? Reported level was 4.6ft and it looked it at Jones Creek at 6:15 in the dark. About 10am I went to mm15 and the river not only looked like SB with too much cream but also looked to be well above 4.6ft. Totally blown out.

I thought the reporting station was well down from mm14. Am I wrong that the reporting was for 4.6ft?

F
flux
kirkster said:
thanks for the update.:) but whats up with reading ifish:naughty:
Hahaha...a good fisherman uses all resources available. Plus, since ifish doesn't breakdown their forum by location I only posted my report here. ;)

L
luv2fish
wilson is arright now and is at very fishable level....

G
Green_Tackle
River looked great today. Got a nice sized cutthroat but skunked on the Salmon/Steelhead front.

C
Coho Kid
Nice, I was just thinking about trying it.

S
schroegp
Went out on monday. Best day salmon fishing I've had on the wilson. Got five to the boat including a 30 pounder. Epic.

G
GDBrown
I was on the Wilson at Cedar Creek by 10AM Monday and it was perfect! The big boys weren't biting but the cuts took all the eggs I put out even with a large hook for the little buggers. This one was about 14 inches.

WilsonCut.jpg

I was down again today and it was just as nice but more wind. I ended up fishing the "Hospital Hole" on the trask. All I got was a sun burn.

Beautiful day at the coast.

GD

O
OnTheFly
It makes sence:think: The cutts probably clue in on eggs this time of year when the salmon spawn. Kinda like the redsides do on the deschutes around Jan/Feb when the whitefish are doing the same thing.

G
GDBrown
OnTheFly said:
It makes sence:think: The cutts probably clue in on eggs this time of year when the salmon spawn. Kinda like the redsides do on the deschutes around Jan/Feb when the whitefish are doing the same thing.

So should I be using an egg pattern to catch them with my fly rod? I'll have to try that with the 4wt next time I go down. Or would I get in trouble since the season is over for cutts.

GD

B
beaverfan
No you should be fine, the steelhead will be doing the same thing. Once the salmon in there start spawning the steelhead will be hanging out just downstream from spawning fish.

G
GDBrown
That's a good thought! If the steelhead will do it maybe I should take the new 10wt rod I just bought? What do you think, is a 10wt too big for a single egg pattern?

C
chris61182
GDBrown said:
So should I be using an egg pattern to catch them with my fly rod? I'll have to try that with the 4wt next time I go down. Or would I get in trouble since the season is over for cutts.

GD

What are you talking about? The season ends Oct 31st.

B
bigsteel
chris61182 said:
What are you talking about? The season ends Oct 31st.

its only october 14th:D:D:D

C
chris61182
bigsteel said:
its only october 14th:D:D:D

Yeah I know, but this is like the 3rd or 4th time on here that I've seen someone claim that the season has ended.

F
flux
What does it mean for a season to "end" for cutthroats? If you're fishing for other fish and you happen to catch a cutthroat, you get in trouble? Or only if you keep it?

Nice fish GD brown. Caught mine on a light brown/orange sculpin fly, but it took me awhile. Interesting theory about the salmon eggs. I'll have to try out one of my egg patterns next time and see what happens.

Last edited:
C
chris61182
flux said:
What does it mean for a season to "end" for cutthroats? If you're fishing for other fish and you happen to catch a cutthroat, you get in trouble? Or only if you keep it?

When it ends, unless the regulations specifically say catch and release allowed, you are not suppose to target them. I'm not entirely certain how they judge that you're targeting any specific species, but I imagine if you do accidentally catch one that so long as it's released unharmed you don't get a ticket.