Wilson River Coho's

B
beaverfan
So when is the start and the peak of the Coho run in the Wilson and other coastal rivers? I didn't start fishing last year till mid November and there were still quite a few around. Does the run start later than the Columbia run? I was thinking about going down there for Searun Cuts this weekend. Are there any Coho up by the burned down Guide Shop at that drift launch?

O
oldVTff
hi:

I am new to forum. I was at the Wilson last weekend with my two young kids. We were catching small cutthroats with small nymphs ~ mile marker 20 or so. Fun for the kids especially. I was in ankle deep water and fishing a small pool when I noticed a very large back of a fish come up out of the riffle going into the pool. Probably 2-3 feet in size, I presume a salmon. It had no interest in any of my flies (although I only had small trout flies).

I think the big salmon are moving since the rains last weekend.

G
GDBrown
oldVTff,
Welcome to the OFF gang. You'll find lots to read and laugh about on the forum. We share our secret holes and what we have caught lately.
I'm from Hillsboro and have fished the Wilson for 20 years. Not seriously enough for most of these guys but I had kids to raise while I was doing it. I too enjoy fishing for the cuts on fly.
There may be a fall 'Nook that shot up river after last weeks little rain. If so it is probably lonley too. It also may have been a summer Steelie that was wandering the pools.

GD

B
Born2Fish55
45 years fishing the Pacific Northwest...

45 years fishing the Pacific Northwest...

I have been fishing the Coastal rivers of the Northwest since we moved here in 1964... primarily the Nehalem and Rock Creek up around Vernonia.
But also many fishing trips to the others... my favs are Lewis & Clark, Necanicum, North Fork Nehalem, Klatskanie, Trask, and of course the Wilson!
Right now we should be borderline to seeing the runs start up the Coast with another good freshet or so.

If you fish the lower river below the 'Narrows' you should pick up some really nice Harvest trout (Searun Cuts) with worms pulled behind Colorado spinner, Drifted roe clusters, #2 or 3 Roostertail, #2 or 3 Bluefox, and Panther Martins.

Coho and Chinook both should be making their runs soon... give it some water and stain from the falling leaves. I picked up quite a few Silvers off of the South Jetty at Astoria last Sunday. I was fishing for Flounder, Rockfish and Perch, but had Coho Jacks picking up Squid pieces and Anchovies. They didn't like the Clam necks. Lots of keepers were being picked up on the bay off of the bank. We will need to keep waiting a little longer yet, hopefully they do not run late like the last two years.

O
oldVTff
thanks for the info: Where is the narrows on the lower Wilson? I have yet to fish below mile marker 20. I'm still thinking of that huge hog that swam in front of me while I was fishing with the kids. I just bought them a flyrod setup- looking forward to fall fishing!

B
Born2Fish55
:D
About at milepost 14 - very productive section known as the 'Big Narrows' and gives you about 1 to 1 1/4 mile of deep pools sandwiched between some high sided rock walls... actually it is a gorge consisting of tailraces, drops, small cataracs, and deep pools. Stop at the turnout located just upstream from mile post 14.... there is a trail heading North that will take you right to it. If you take kids with you or if you cannot swim I highly suggest PDF like a Mustang SOSupender as you will be fishing from outjuttings of rock or ledges above the river.... If you are going to fish for Salmon, I suggest Bobber with bait... but spinners work well.... right time of the run and this is probably one one of the best stretches of fishable, fish producing water on the river.
Oh, and a long handled net is handy for the 'non-mountain goat types'.... if you see me, I'll normally be the one hanging from some very questionable positions and locations for fishing.
Walk up stream from there... lot's of holding water from the Narrows up to Lee's.... almost every little creek dumping in has holding water at it's mouth or really close by.
I took a pontoon boat from Lee's all the way to Siskeyville Slide launch... long day, but 'what a ride'.... got really good at picking it up and carrying it while still inside.... and ended the day with a different outlook than the guys in "Jaws".... "I needed a smaller boat!".... but I was able to see a lot of the river coutour and layout.... found dozens of pools I did not know were there and had a relaxing day in general.
:dance: