Wilson River closed to chinook fishing

hobster

Damn that sucks. Not that it’s closed but because the fish are dying. Hopefully this forecasted rain will help them out a bit.

my2labs

Most Featured
Im steering clear of the coast until rain comes. No need to tire these fish out if the water temp is already killing them. Thanks for the update Hans. May have saved me a ticket this weekend.

Casting Call

I am going to the Wilson ramps/slides to see it's posted. I will check the turnouts and help people from getting cited by letting them know of the months closure. Maybe do some recon. for winter steelhead while the water is low. The Tug Is The Drug. Tony

Hooked Up

I am going to the Wilson ramps/slides to see it's posted. I will check the turnouts and help people from getting cited by letting them know of the months closure. Maybe do some recon. for winter steelhead while the water is low. The Tug Is The Drug. Tony
That's awesome Tony. Nice of you to put on the leg work and help fellow anglers. And yes, the tug is the drug!

troutdude

Right on Tony. You da man!

Anatoliy

Admin
So how to understand "water levels further upstream are low, causing the salmon to stay further downstream. That’s helped spread a parasite that’s believed to be responsible for the die-off"? Previous years there were no parasite? Or fish moved so fast that parasite couldn't bite them?
Sounds to me very.... hmmm... fishy.

So how to understand "water levels further upstream are low, causing the salmon to stay further downstream. That’s helped spread a parasite that’s believed to be responsible for the die-off"? Previous years there were no parasite? Or fish moved so fast that parasite couldn't bite them?
Sounds to me very.... hmmm... fishy.
From what I know about salmon if their all lower in the system it would likely just be a case that if the water isn't flushing fast enough and the salmon are more densely packed they are more likely to infect each other with various diseases they have. They have that issue a lot in hatchery holding pens where they are packed really tight and use a lot of antibiotics to keep em healthy. I would assume you could have the same problem but slower if they were denser in the system in more stagnant than normal water they'd be more likely to get serious infections

Anatoliy

Admin
From what I know about salmon if their all lower in the system it would likely just be a case that if the water isn't flushing fast enough and the salmon are more densely packed they are more likely to infect each other with various diseases they have. They have that issue a lot in hatchery holding pens where they are packed really tight and use a lot of antibiotics to keep em healthy. I would assume you could have the same problem but slower if they were denser in the system in more stagnant than normal water they'd be more likely to get serious infections
Thank you gfisher2003 for explanation, now I understand what they mean.

my2labs

Most Featured
And now.... it’s all North coast rivers....

The rains may push in the initial steel runs but no nooky for anyone ....

Attachments

rogerdodger

Most Featured
the good news is that there appears to be lots of moisture on the way to the NW...

Hooked Up

Makes sense to close all north coastal salmon fishing. Hopefully this latest weather pattern is the start to our long awaited rainy season.

Top Bottom