Wilson River 6/4

J
jpjule
Drove out to the Wilson on Saturday morning to chase some cutts but got skunked. First time it has happened to me on that river. I hit the water around 6. The river seemed to be in perfect shape. Nice flows and as clear as can be. Bugs were everywhere. Not only did I not catch a fish but I didn't even see one. Not a rise, not the flash of a spooked fish, nothing. I threw everything in the book and the box at 'em but it just wasn't my day. It was still a fantastic day on my favorite river but I am a bit shocked at the lack of life I saw. (Not to mention all of the damn garbage) I usually fish the afternoon and evening so it is possible that the action is just slower in the AM. Anybody have any better luck out there? Was the winter weather rough on the river this year?

Oh, and concerning the garbage, any of you interested in a fishing/clean up day? I picked up as much as I could fit in my bag Saturday but it didn't put a dent in it. I hate to see such a great place strewn with crap.

O
OneMore
yeah, bummer thats why all the closed roads in there now! Love thayt river but always bummed about the trash!

J
jpjule
It was a ton of beer cans, spinner packages, bait containers and such. I enjoy having a beer or two while fishing but damn people, pick up after yourselves. On the plus side, i picked up about 10 floats and 4 nice spinners that must have been lost by steelheaders when the river was higer.

C
CMO
Some friends and I fished the Wilson 5/29 at Donaldson's and the Mills Bridge area. We fished from 1PM - sundown. No bites at all for me all day but 1 friend caught a 12" trout. Kind of disappointing because there have been some days I have fished there and couldn't keep them off my fly.

B
beaverfan
jpjule said:
Oh, and concerning the garbage, any of you interested in a fishing/clean up day? I picked up as much as I could fit in my bag Saturday but it didn't put a dent in it. I hate to see such a great place strewn with crap.

I've already been planning one for like a month, there's been very little interest.

N
n8r1
OneMore said:
yeah, bummer thats why all the closed roads in there now! Love thayt river but always bummed about the trash!

I like that they closed the roads to the upper river areas. It keeps all the lazy people who are unwilling to hike in away from some of the good spots.

B
beaverfan
OneMore said:

Actually that's not the reason although I'm sure it had something to do with it. I spoke with the Forestry Department when they first did it and was told it was done to improve fish habitat. People would go 4x4ing out there and it creates tons of mud and silt and transmission fluid and all kinds of other crap that runs directly into the river. Also there were/are signs posed at several of the roads that said it was part of a salmon habitat restoration plan.

G
GDBrown
All the yellow gates are to restrict access to the PGE Power lines/poles. The are trying to protect there investment according to them. It helps keep some of the garbage away from the river but not enough. Take a garbage bag with you and do a 15 minute pick up walk every time you go, that's what I do. All Boy Scouts know that you leave every campsite (fishing hole) cleaner than you found it.

J
jpjule
beaverfan said:
I've already been planning one for like a month, there's been very little interest.
I usually take a garbage bag with me but forgot to throw one in with my gear this last time out.