Wilson report 4/4

D
DriftOR
Floated from Mills to Sollie, I thought the high water might keep people at home, I was most definitely wrong! There must have been a million boats on the river today, maybe two million! We got skunked but I did talk to some other boats that were doing pretty well. It sounded like most of the fish were caught in the am. Saw a bank angler pick up a fish right at mills bridge when we were putting in, the only one I personally witnessed being caught today. With so many boats I thought I would at least get to see someone else's action.

brandon4455
brandon4455
DriftOR said:
Floated from Mills to Sollie, I thought the high water might keep people at home, I was most definitely wrong! There must have been a million boats on the river today, maybe two million! We got skunked but I did talk to some other boats that were doing pretty well. It sounded like most of the fish were caught in the am. Saw a bank angler pick up a fish right at mills bridge when we were putting in, the only one I personally witnessed being caught today. With so many boats I thought I would at least get to see someone else's action.

well, its better to get out then not at all!. and everyone will be at the wilson and trask pretty much for the rest of winter steelies. everyone in my famiyl that steelhead fishes has been going there or plans to. that river is going to be packed.

K
Kais
Ive been dying to go but have no ride. But If it is that packed, then maybe i don't want to go

S
SantiamDrifter
Once the willamette clears up pressure will drop. Course it's not too much longer before the winter run is done and its on to summers!

brandon4455
brandon4455
SantiamDrifter said:
Once the willamette clears up pressure will drop. Course it's not too much longer before the winter run is done and its on to summers!

can't wait!

T
TimberTodd
I am planning on hitting the river tomorrow and Wednesday from the bank. I hope I can find an empty rock to cast from.
Todd

S
Subacca
Went out on the 3rd and tried about 6 different holes up and down the Wilson without getting so much as a bite, seeing a fish, or seeing anybody else catch one or get a bite. Very discouraging especially coming from Alaska where getting skunked happens but rarely. But it was great to be outdoors, the Wilson river and area is beautiful. Guess I just need to wait until a real run of fish happens?

A
aka trouble
ive went two days in a row and saw and caught fish both days ... mainly natives tho and most were colored up im sure there geting into spawn mode ...not sure but ive heard the hatchery run is over maybe few straglers but summers and springers are next and im sure its with in a month a kicking into gear with that ...so good luck to anyone who goes out there ....

S
Subacca
Went back out for another try on the Wilson Saturday from about 5:30am to 3pm. (casting not on a boat). Tried fishing about 4 different holes from Windy Rock area to Jones Bridge using yarn with/without cured eggs, black rooster tail, and even a wedding ring with some cured eggs. Still no luck catching a fish (other than what appeared to be a 6" coho smolt that managed to actually get my steelhead sized hook into its mouth down by Windy Rock). Anytime I saw another bank fisherman they were usually giving up and moving on after a couple hours though I did see one person catch and lose what looked like a medium sized trout.

Pretty discouraged after spending time and gas for for two weekends in a row and having such little/no action. I keep hearing about people catching fish but must be drifters on those drift boat rigs I keep seeing people use on the river. Seems like thats the best way to cover a lot of water and keep your bait in the water for the most amount of time but if the fishing is good, that shouldn't be necessary. Maybe i'll wait a couple weeks before trying again?