Wilson in late April

M
Mutiny
I'm going to be remodeling a house on the Wilson at the end of the month and will likely be staying out there to avoid the commute. Naturally I will have my Spey rod with me, and I am wondering what fish might be kicking around the river then. Will it be too late for winter steel?

C
ChezJfrey
There should be plenty of steelhead in the higher stretches. I fished there until the end of April in 2012 and either saw or caught a good number of them, though the majority of my catch was wild.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Greeting and salutation Mutiny! Check your PMs FMI. Tony

D
DrTheopolis
Mixed bag in late April there. There will still be (large) native steelies, and depending on temps and whatnot, that's about when the early summers show up (all hatchery). Very slight chance of a Chinook or two being in the river, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them.

M
Mutiny
Cool, I was hoping it wouldn't be completely between productive seasons.
If you were going to take 4 fly patterns to fish this scenario what would they be?

Casting Call
Casting Call
Mutiny said:
Cool, I was hoping it wouldn't be completely between productive seasons.
If you were going to take 4 fly patterns to fish this scenario what would they be?
Hummm! let's see..Nightmare.....

Casting Call
Casting Call
Casting Call said:
Hummm! let's see..Nightmare.....
A very large San Juan worm, pink of course.....

Casting Call
Casting Call
Casting Call said:
A very large San Juan worm, pink of course.....
also a Marabou,pink, orange and purple.......

Casting Call
Casting Call
Casting Call said:
also a Marabou,pink, orange and purple.......
I always dedicate some of time for practice or experimenting. In this case I chose the latter. Try one of your own tied or someother you might think will work. Who knows! it may open whole new worlds to you favorite water. GL Tony

C
ChezJfrey
Wow, I'm not so sure I should even continue this steelheading thing...I ducked out yesterday afternoon and hit the Wilson. Conditions were prime in my typical April spots and after 6 hours, throwing several presentations in hole after hole, run after run, chasing up/down the river and I touched nothing! Disgraceful and I should just give it up! LOL

Casting Call
Casting Call
Hey Chez! do you drive a black jeep? I worked mp 19 down to the slide. Tony

C
ChezJfrey
Casting Call said:
Hey Chez! do you drive a black jeep? I worked mp 19 down to the slide. Tony

No, green Durango. You would have missed me as I worked Elk Creek down to mp 21 :)

M
Mutiny
Headed out that way early tomorrow morning for the week. Gonna be raining most of the week it looks like, so hopefully it doesn't get blown out...
Anyone have any luck out there recently?

P
perfectg03
Lots of redds around now. I saw quite a few spawners around last trip out up high. Didn't end up fishing at all, just watching them for a bit. Please be respectful and leave them alone.

Stay down lower, there are still fresh fish coming in.

M
Mutiny
Well the water was beautiful when I got there, but only managed to get out for an hour each on Monday and Tuesday before the river blew.
Don't worry, I stayed, and will stay away from any redd type habitat.
Headed back out on Monday To lay 2000 square feet of hardwood flooring. Looks like the weather might be a bit better this week...