Wilson conditions

R
Rob
Thinking about a quick trip to the Wilson around noon today. Level looks good, 5.58 and dropping, but they seem to have discontinued collecting turbidity data about 3 weeks ago:

http://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis...od=&begin_date=2014-10-01&end_date=2014-10-24

Anybody had a look at the water in the last day or so? Wondering if it's worth the drive today or if I should wait until early next week for it to clear up. Thanks!

O
OnTheDrop
Wait until early next week. Less pressure and plenty of fish!

D
DrTheopolis
Currently, it's at 5.4 -- certainly fishable, but requires heavy gear for bankmaggoting. Since I'm not there, I don't know how bad the leaves/debris will be, but might make it tough.

troutdude
troutdude
Maybe this info, is additionally helpful (it's the forecast for Tillamook). The level hit 6.81' on Thursday, and has slowly dropped to 5.43'. The river will drop to 5.22' tomorrow, and raise again slightly and back to 5.43' again on Sunday.

The forecast:

Friday Night:

Rain. Low around 52. East wind 8 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Saturday:

Rain. High near 60. East southeast wind 7 to 15 mph becoming south in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

troutdude
troutdude
Ha ha. Thought you were heading out tomorrow. Did you go today? Any luck?

S
Socaaron
I was over that way Thursday, while the river may be on the drop now I can tell you it was WAY up and very turbid(looked like the sandy on a blow) just a few days ago. As advised your best bet is to wait till sometime next week. What that meant for me was there wasn't much fishing to be had though I did get a great video of the holding pens at NFN they were packed! Those poor fish kept jumping at the barrier trying to go "upstream"(water jet) but it was fun to watch in spite of the constant banging of fish leaping out of the water and slapping into the sloped aluminum barrier.

M
Modest_Man
If you search around there is a webcam that shows the Wilson near the Tillamook Forest Center. Hint hint. As long as it's light out you can get eyes on the river from any device.

M
Mutiny
I was working out there yesterday and today. Yesterday the river was blown. Looking much better today.

T
troutmasta
I saw the water today with my own eyes. Level is perfect, water is a tad chocolatey just a tad. And there is debris. But there was debris in the river I fished as well and it was loaded with fish.

R
Rob
Thanks for the info, guys. Wound up skipping the Wilson and staying closer to home on the Clackamas this afternoon. Definitely planning on getting out there Monday or Tuesday!

C
chrome_magnum
I'm a Wilson river rookie and would really love to get out and explore the river for winter steelhead but have no idea where to access the river to bank fish. Is anyone willing to help a novice out?

Casting Call
Casting Call
The Kelchis is the first to drop and clear. The gradeation is steeper than most in the area and is only five miles from the wilson. I'll be there in an hour or so. Tony

C
ChezJfrey
chrome_magnum said:
I'm a Wilson river rookie and would really love to get out and explore the river for winter steelhead but have no idea where to access the river to bank fish. Is anyone willing to help a novice out?

From mile 27 or so, to mile 12 on Hwy. 6 is loaded with spots/pullouts. There are also a few between mile 12 and 5, but they become scarcer. When the winters start showing, pick any one. If there are a bunch of people, merely walking an 1/8 mile in either direction will almost undoubtedly have water that whispers 'fish' to you...odds are, you would be correct :)

C
chrome_magnum
Thank you very much gentlemen I appreciate it! Any fish on the the bank casting call?

T
troutmasta
chrome_magnum said:
Thank you very much gentlemen I appreciate it! Any fish on the the bank casting call?

The kilchis has Very limited bank space. maybe 3 or four different spots on the whole thing. The upper has a lot of bank to fish but you have to hike through serious brambles to get there. The Lower is 99% private property. There are a couple of drift boat launches, the upper has some bank space but gets crowded early.
Drifted the kilchis yesterday, we did decent some big chums and a 30+ pound nook that got OFF at the boat,(one of the largest nooks Id ever seen.) I fished the wilson from the bank this morning and got a nook as well (not nearly as big).
They are both getting stacked-
Get some-

Casting Call
Casting Call
chrome_magnum said:
How do you spell skunked after 3 hours in the raft! Tony

D
DrTheopolis
troutmasta said:
There are a couple of drift boat launches

But you don't need a driftboat to fish the Kilchis -- just go to the ramp, and hop on the flydeck of the first boat, then to the flydeck of the next boat, and so on... next thing you know, you'll be at the 101 ramp.

Nice river, but the pressure is ridiculous.

T
troutmasta
DrTheopolis said:
But you don't need a driftboat to fish the Kilchis -- just go to the ramp, and hop on the flydeck of the first boat, then to the flydeck of the next boat, and so on... next thing you know, you'll be at the 101 ramp.

Nice river, but the pressure is ridiculous.
Frogger?