Wilson 11/7

J
JeeperGal
Well I braved the thunderstorms, hail, and pouring rain to try my luck on the wilson. I fished both holes at the foot bridge and didn't have any luck. Didn't even see a fish.

The other people fishing didn't seem to have any luck either.

Had to call it a day because my supposedly waterproof boots aren't! cold feet are the pits. Ok, I'm done whining now.

S
skunk
I showed up on the wilson today. I tried fishing, not such a good salmon fisherman I found out. O well, gotta learn sometime. I don't know the names of the holes but I fished about 3 hrs from mile marker 28 to about maybe 25 I'd say. One hole I watched two hold in about 2-3' of water for awhile, one large one rolled in a deep chute and several jumped at the head of the pool. I feel good to have at least reached the first step and seen them. Now the hard part of getting my gear to their level and getting them to bite. Then I got rained out.

G
GDBrown
Watch The River Level

Watch The River Level

I've said it before, when it's raining hard check the river level. If it is above 4 ft & rising fast, STAY Home. It's a short river system so heavy rains make it unfishable in short order.

I stayed home & worked on my honey do list, so my wife is not mad at me for going fishing again. I did get a steelhead yesterday though @ Costco. Cheapest fishing trip I've had in years, but I'm not as relaxed tonight.

Later,

GD

A
alm21
GDBrown said:
I stayed home & worked on my honey do list, so my wife is not mad at me for going fishing again.

A wise and clever decision!

J
JeeperGal
GDBrown said:
I've said it before, when it's raining hard check the river level. If it is above 4 ft & rising fast, STAY Home. It's a short river system so heavy rains make it unfishable in short order.

I stayed home & worked on my honey do list, so my wife is not mad at me for going fishing again. I did get a steelhead yesterday though @ Costco. Cheapest fishing trip I've had in years, but I'm not as relaxed tonight.

Later,

GD

Well with my schedule it is hard for me to go fishing at all. So I had to go! just in case :)

S
stonesworth
Ya I was the grey mazda truck that was sitting there waiting for the thunder and lightning and mad rain to stop when you showed up...My wife and I seen you head down to the river to brave it..And ya we worked most the holes up from the burnt out place and seen a lot of people fishing and we only seen one wild steal landed and seen nothing else landed, jump, roll, the rest of the day..Our gear got beat by the rain as well and we called it a day+ the water was going up fast. I will wait and get it on the drop this week I hope..

J
JeeperGal
stonesworth said:
Ya I was the grey mazda truck that was sitting there waiting for the thunder and lightning and mad rain to stop when you showed up...My wife and I seen you head down to the river to brave it..And ya we worked most the holes up from the burnt out place and seen a lot of people fishing and we only seen one wild steal landed and seen nothing else landed, jump, roll, the rest of the day..Our gear got beat by the rain as well and we called it a day+ the water was going up fast. I will wait and get it on the drop this week I hope..

I'm tough like that :) Too bad you didn't holler hello!

I'm airing out my tackle box and hoping things don't rust too much.. was still worth it :)

F
fishhunter
stonesworth was that wild steal as in head:think:?????:pray::pray::pray::pray:

S
stonesworth
I think it was a wild steathead to far to see but by the size- shape I think it was..Thats just my guess

S
skunk
So is the idea to hit the river as its falling after a rain?

H
halibuthitman
GDBrown said:

Later,

GD

wow, what did you pay for the steel at costco? and which costco had it? I want to smoke and can around 20 lbs.... buying is much cheaper than catching that much... and then I can just let the ones I catch go.

L
Last Cast
Ran out to the wilson last night. got there about 3pm. there was about 1.5-2 feet of visability in the water at about mile post 20. Set up with a black spin n glow. Had 6 fish on in about an hour in a half. Alas I could not land a fish to save my life. There was some very nice looking fish.

J
JeeperGal
Last Cast said:
Ran out to the wilson last night. got there about 3pm. there was about 1.5-2 feet of visability in the water at about mile post 20. Set up with a black spin n glow. Had 6 fish on in about an hour in a half. Alas I could not land a fish to save my life. There was some very nice looking fish.

Ah! you're killin' me! :D

F
FishTastic
Way to go Last Cast! I always thought in the back of my mind that black was a good choice in color, but everytime I reach in the box for something black, something orange always comes out instead. Maybe I should try leaving all the other colors at home, then I would have to use black:think:

What size were you using?

L
Last Cast
I was using a size 8 black body black wing. I grabed them as I was walking out the door as an after thought. Next Time I will make certain to grab the proper size hook to go with it. I am sure that is why I kept losing fish, too small of a hook. Hind sight!

F
FishTastic
I had that problem with hooks early this year. A friend told me the way he sizes his hook to his spin n glo or corkies, is to see if the object fits slightly inside or snug in the hook gap then it is the right size hook for the size corkie or spin n glo.

Some might laugh at this, but I take things a step further, after using my friends method, I then fill the bathroom sink and drop the set up in as if it were being cast. If the hook and corkie or spin n glo are matched correctly the hook should never touch the bottom of the sink or river for that matter.

I am going to try to get out of work early tonight and head over there and see if I can't catch a nice little bright fish for the table tonight. I am going to go early tomorrow morning before work for sure, I have a really sweet new lure I created and I really need to test it some more while the fish are here in numbers, then maybe I can patent this thing. So far it has been quite deadly. Been working on it for almost a year now.

Thanks for the info. Tight lines. maybe see you out there sometime.

F
frodog
I was down there sunday also I failed to land any fish and had only one solid hit but saw lots of fish they are in and all over the river I started just above the narrows and worked my way on down and across to kilchis park. A black and silver spin n glow was the only thing gettin attention.

S
skunk
How do you rig and fish the spin and glo? Thanks

G
GDBrown
Costco Fish sale

Costco Fish sale

halibuthitman said:
wow, what did you pay for the steel at costco? and which costco had it? I want to smoke and can around 20 lbs.... buying is much cheaper than catching that much... and then I can just let the ones I catch go.

I found it at the Costco Store in Hillsboro. They had Steelhead and Salmon fillets and whole trout. Steelhead was $5.99/lb & Salmon was $7.99/lb if I remember right.

Tasted great and I didn't have to clean it or anything!

GD

L
Last Cast
skunk said:
How do you rig and fish the spin and glo? Thanks

I am sure there are others that are more qualified than myself to answer this, but I'll gladly share what works for me. there a several methods that can be used this is the one I chose for the conditions of the water i was fishing. visibility in the water is 1.5-2 feet. River level is high and slightly off color. I look for lanes that the fish will travel in to place my offering. I set up with a 3way swivle. run 24 in of leader to your weight in this case it was a 2 oz cannon ball. then I set up about 24-30in of leader to my hook. Hook is tied with an egg loop. I then place 1-2 small beads between my hook and my spin n glow. this set up will let you use yarn and or bait if you choose. Make sure you have a hook that the spin n glow will fit in the gap! LOL! Cast out and wait.