Wilson 11/6/09

M

mkreese

I'm new here but have checked the site in the past for helpful info. Everyone here seems to freely off what they know. I was out this morning and will be heading back out in an hour or so, was wondering if eggs are worth it? If so does anyone have a spot they pick them up if need be? One of the stores on the way out? Also, if spinners are effective what color combos? Thanks for any help.
Side note, we were just below the Keening creek bridge and at least 30 fish in two hours were running through. I'm looking forward to this furnace getting fixed so I can head back up.

J

JeeperGal

I've heard orange is a good color for the wilson. How's the water looking? I might head up there tomorrow.

-Jeepergal

F

FishTastic

I'm new here but have checked the site in the past for helpful info. Everyone here seems to freely off what they know. I was out this morning and will be heading back out in an hour or so, was wondering if eggs are worth it? If so does anyone have a spot they pick them up if need be? One of the stores on the way out? Also, if spinners are effective what color combos? Thanks for any help.
Side note, we were just below the Keening creek bridge and at least 30 fish in two hours were running through. I'm looking forward to this furnace getting fixed so I can head back up.

:dance: 30 fish in 2 hours is fantastic news! I am stuck at work today but I but I have been plotting and planning all week to get out and fish hard all weekend. 2 sundays ago I hooked a big fish at the cedar tree hole on a metallic red corkie and a piece of herring fillet from a frozen herring. It seemed like an odd thing to offer but it worked. The fish I hooked broke my fresh 20lB maxima, was a dark fish anyway and I got to play it for 10 minutes at least so not a bad deal for me.

I also had a lighter rod rigged up with a #4 blue fox silver blade and blue body that I painted bright yellow spots on and I had a real beat up fish follow it right to the bank and turn away.

Eggs are almost always worth it, I think it may be a wee bit early to use them but you just never know. I found that the best egg fishing is to use a Salmon Stalker size 2oz float and a 2oz bead chain weight underneath with at least 24 inch leader at least 15lb ( many will laugh but I use 30-40lb on my egg and bobber set ups) tie and egg loop and put a decent 1.5 x 1.5 inch gob of eggs and set your bobber stop so your aggs are 1-2 feet off the bottom.

Another method that I like even better is plunking with eggs, let the fish come to you instead of them having to find that always moving bobber bait.
Pick a tail out with moderate current and a slot or groove deeper than surrounding water ( you're looking for a channel that the fish will use to move) situate yourself so you have a good angle less than 90 degrees to bait. Rig up mainline with a 1-2oz sliding pyramid weight and a bead behind to protect the knot, tie your main to a swivel, tie up a 3/0 red hook egg loop on 20-30lb clear leader make 18-24 inches long, slide a bead and a magnum spin n glow (metallic red with white wings) then tie the leader to the other end of the swivel. Put your eggs in the loop and lob out in to that channel and stick the rod in some rocks and tighten up the slack line sit back and wait for the action!

I use almost any eggs I can get my hands on. BI-mart sells eggs and maybe Glenwood store on the way out of glenwood/ timber junction. They might have some. Good luck and please let us know how the water looks!

M

mkreese

Water...

Water...

The water was nice, not muddy but there were plenty of leaves. We fished Keenin Creek, just below the Tillamook forestry center and nothing. One guy at the rock island below the center had a decent fish, dark brown though. I'm not sure about the rest of the river but that stretch got eight hours with no luck. Best of luck to you all.

B

beaverfan

Took a new member from this site out there today for his first time Salmon fishing. He got two nice Coho's and I got one. Started low didn't see anything till we got to the upper river. The one I got was a very large buck that was probably 16-18lbs.

J

JeeperGal

Took a new member from this site out there today for his first time Salmon fishing. He got two nice Coho's and I got one. Started low didn't see anything till we got to the upper river. The one I got was a very large buck that was probably 16-18lbs.

Very nice! What'd you catch 'em on?

G

GDBrown

Wilson does it again!

Wilson does it again!

Sounds like you had a good time. Was the wind blowing while you were down there?

Which hole did you pull the fish out of? If I claim to be a new member will you take me out? I could use some company when I go.

Unfortunetly I have to work on the windows this weekend and I'll be going North to visit Mom the next weekend. :confused:She gets upset if I don't see her for a few weeks.:confused: But hey what do you expect for someone who is sharper mentally at 96 than most of us are on a good day!:shock:

B

beaverfan

All three fish were once again taken out of the blackjack hole (mile marker) 21

S

skunk

How does one go about learning the names of the holes on this river? Is there a good map somewhere? Would help knowing when people mention them.

B

beaverfan

The Lee's Camp store used to sell a "fishing map" that has the name of all the holes. Also they can be found in the book titled "Fishing in Oregon".(best book I ever bought. liked it so much I bought a second copy) As for the blackjack hole, I've never taken the time to look it up and see what it's really called. I just call it that because I've had lots of good luck there and its at mile marker 21.

S

skunk

Thanks for the info, now I feel really new at this. I have that book, just looked at the wilson map and yep, there it is. I really gotta get out more!!!

B

beaverfan

Thanks for the info, now I feel really new at this. I have that book, just looked at the wilson map and yep, there it is. I really gotta get out more!!!

Ya it's amazing how much info is in that book. I would be lost if I didn't have it!

F

FishTastic

Ya it's amazing how much info is in that book. I would be lost if I didn't have it!

Where did you buy that book at? I think I could stand to do some reading:lol:

If the weather holds out I will probably go saturday if anyone is interested in learning how not to fish:lol:

B

beaverfan

I got both my copies off of amazon.com, but I'm almost certain I saw a used copy of it at Powell's at Cedar Hill's Crossing. I highly recommend getting it. It has almost every body of water in it, it tells you what species are there, as well as directions to most spots. When I first got my copy I decided to go through and circle the names of all the lakes and streams I would want to go to and put an x next to ones I've already been to. The whole dang book is filled up with circles now.

F

FishTastic

I got both my copies off of amazon.com, but I'm almost certain I saw a used copy of it at Powell's at Cedar Hill's Crossing. I highly recommend getting it. It has almost every body of water in it, it tells you what species are there, as well as directions to most spots. When I first got my copy I decided to go through and circle the names of all the lakes and streams I would want to go to and put an x next to ones I've already been to. The whole dang book is filled up with circles now.

haha that's pretty cool! I did something similar. Purchased a forestry map of the Tillamook forest. I have marked all my favorite fishing holes and locations in the forest.

I think I will go to Amazon and purchase that book. Hopefully it might arrive by friday. Thanks for the info. You may have to show me a few of these places from the book.

G

gdub

It would be a better map with more mile markers on it but it's a good starting place.

Anyone have any luck on the Wilson today? Everyone I ran into didn't have good news to share as far as getting into fish. Hope everyone enjoyed the rain though.

F

fishtales

No luck. I fished the Wilson. The drive was nice and wet. I saw a little bit of hail on the side of the road around Browns Camp Junction and up on the mountain tops. Besides that it was all rain and wind down by the river.

I fished around mile marker 18 and the foot bridge. With the amount of water in the river it was hard to find a good place to fish but after searching around I found a few potential areas and started to fish. As far as I could tell the river was still rising and the fish were not biting.

I took some pictures of the river that I will put up tomorrow if I can figure out how to add them to a post.

All in all it was a good day for an outing. Although I would have liked to catch some fish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom