Willy opener

H
Herefishyfishy
What are the chances they will open the Willy this Saturday? I'm assuming it will open for retention the following Thursday but does anyone think it's possible they will post it after the meeting Friday?

B
beaverfan
I would think they'd hold off till next week.

S
SNDSLGR
The meeting this week is not going to set the season. The meeting on the 8th next week is going to set it... and unfortunately I doubt they will open it for that weekend either. Hope I am wrong.

I want to encourage everyone to be responsible about this when they open it. There will be a flood of people rushing to kill everthing they can, as soon as they can. Show some restraint, only keep what you need.

No matter who or what you blame for the sturgeon numbers we all can agree they are down. Lets all do our part to conserve this fun fishery!

H
Herefishyfishy
Oh...thanks for the info, I did'nt know that. You saved me from checking the website every 5 minutes friday night and saturday morning! I am self imposing a 2 sturgeon limit this year for keepers. I think thats plenty....

B
beaverfan
SNDSLGR said:
The meeting this week is not going to set the season. The meeting on the 8th next week is going to set it... and unfortunately I doubt they will open it for that weekend either. Hope I am wrong.

I want to encourage everyone to be responsible about this when they open it. There will be a flood of people rushing to kill everthing they can, as soon as they can. Show some restraint, only keep what you need.

No matter who or what you blame for the sturgeon numbers we all can agree they are down. Lets all do our part to conserve this fun fishery!

According to the Oregonian the Sturgeon season for the Willamette is being discussed Friday, the meating on the 8th is for the Columbia Rive Compact and will determin the springer season on the Columbia.

Sturgeon keeper season to be set Friday | OregonLive.com

H
Herefishyfishy
From the ODFW Website Willamette zone reg updates.....
◦ODFW will present information on sturgeon status and fisheries to the Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission at the Feb. 4, 2011 meeting in Salem, and will set the 2011 retention season following the meeting.

M
Marvin's Guide Service
Chris Kern from ODFW told me the meeting on the 4th is to talk about the season. the Next meeting they will let us know on the season!
All I know for sure is it will be a short season.

Y
youngbuck307
I would be more than happy with one.... Was a big family thing back in the day.... Got a nice chunk from my friend a while back. Brought back a lot of memorys from my childhood... Made me think of old man a lot that's for sure

S
skunk
Just read in the Oregonian that the limit, I think on the Col. will be 17,000, down from around 22,000. Now of course, sealions aren't the only reason, but why limit our catch, to feed them. Again, I know its been tossed around a lot, lets get a season on sealions! No reason to kill them all, just manage them also.