Willy near Salem

L
les_robot
My son and I went after smallmouths, around noon, from the bank.. Fished for a couple of hours.. He ended up with 3 on of all things a Blue Fox Spinner.. All around a pound and a half... Beautiful fish... Took a picture of the first two, before he released, but kind of forgot need to "save" on cell phone, between each picture.. So no pictures to share.. We tried a variety of things, swimbait, spinner baits, rat-l-trap, and some plastics, but never a strike, until he switched to the spinner..

Course, I got blanked.. Maybe next time..

Les

M
Metz84
Right on! My brother and I were out there the other day and he was getting strikes with his popper.

D
Drew9870
Do you ever fish the Dock at Riverfront?

If so, I'm the dude with the longboard and the 12 foot rod fishing for Carp :cool::D, you'd recognize me if you fish there often.

Try where Pringle Creek dumps in at Riverfront, the Smallmouth sit at the bottom of the currents with their mouths open basically.

M
Metz84
Yeah my brother and I go there sometimes, we should meet up there sometime and show us your carpin skillz!:cool:

L
les_robot
Another one of my son's (7 yrs. old) and I tried that area, a couple of months or so ago, before the monsoon brought the water up.. We tried both the mouth of Pringle and the Dock at the Riverfront.. But, nothing..

D
Drew9870
That spot is prime fishing for Smallmouth (besides up the slough more), the best spot is where the Creek runs along Minto Island and dumps into the main slough (the mudflats), if you can get a half a worm to bump bottom a few times while drifting out of the mouth of the creek, you are sure to pick up Smallmouth until you run out of bait, you just have to get in the right current.

Usually the Bass aren't biting until right now and later on, a few months ago wouldn't have been the right time, too cold, my best luck has always been in the blazing hot weather. I once picked up a 2 1/2lber last year in the strong current of Pringle right where it first hits the slough that runs along river rd, though I had a monster trout.

Last edited:
A
AK Assassin
Hey guys, I'm thinking about heading out tomorrow. Is the Pringle creek mouth bank accessible?

D
Drew9870
I would think the island is fully accessible, the channel on the opposite side from where you walk in is probably too small to fish, the best spot for Smallmouth is where that pours in towards the dock.

I think I might make it out to the dock tomorrow, I got my feed corn from Champion Feed all boiled up and prepared, even have some soaking in Phillips Union Cherry Whiskey.

D
Drew9870
I will most likely be at the island tomorrow/today (where Pringle Creek dumps in). Red hat, 12 foot rod, couldn't miss it :lol:.

I might just possibly resort to bass and squawfish if the Carp are slow, the Fish and Game always tell me it's ok to use two rods considering it's in a slough and I have a two rod stamp (I've asked two or three officers already this year).

Will post a report if all goes well.

Last edited:
J
John87
Hey Drew,

I talked to you yesterday at the dock. Hopefully I'll be able to make it out tomorrow/today. BTW my name is John.

D
Drew9870
I'll have to cancel todays trip and head to Little North Fork for some swimming and fishing, a 6 mile long journey on the longboard doesn't sound very tempting in 96 degree weather, along with the ride back.

Tomorrow should cool down.