Willson Question . . . .

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
If I am not mistaken , isn't the height of the willson winter run Febuary and March ? And should most of the fishies be above the guide shack ? Also . . . I thought they released clippers into the river . . . where do the clipped steel come from ? thanks fellas . . . . . .

H
halibuthitman
The chinnook and I think some steelhead come from the wiskey creek hatchery... otherwise cedar creek, big creek, and the N. fork of the klaskenine hatcheries provide the fish. As for a peak I wouldn't say the wilson has a true peak, more like weather related mini peaks all season. I would personaly never neglect the tidewater on the wilson, its some of the most chrome brite productive stretches of water in oregon.

V
Vectorpete
where is the guide shack? The slots just below the forks look great but I see most people are fishing way lower, is there a chance of hooking up away from the crowds?

H
halibuthitman
the guide shop is the foundation full of ashes at the bottom of the river by the R.V park. There are fish everywhere on the wilson... and those are not crowds, cedar creek on a sat during summer steel... now thats a crowd.

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
halibuthitman said:
The chinnook and I think some steelhead come from the wiskey creek hatchery... otherwise cedar creek, big creek, and the N. fork of the klaskenine hatcheries provide the fish. As for a peak I wouldn't say the wilson has a true peak, more like weather related mini peaks all season. I would personaly never neglect the tidewater on the wilson, its some of the most chrome brite productive stretches of water in oregon.

So clippers do get dumped in the wilson ? And thank you guys , as always , for great info .

B
beaverfan
They sure do, they put them in at six spots along the river. If I remember right like 60-70% get dumped into the river at the boat launches in the lower river and 30-40% get dumped into the south fork.

G
GDBrown
Wison River Hatchery??

Wison River Hatchery??

beaverfan said:
They sure do, they put them in at six spots along the river. If I remember right like 60-70% get dumped into the river at the boat launches in the lower river and 30-40% get dumped into the south fork.

Here is some info via the Current Oregon Corrections Department Web site.....

"The Tuffy Creek Fish Hatchery Program is a satellite facility of the Trask Hatchery. South Fork Forest Camp was selected due to it's natural surroundings, the availability of a natural water source and the availability of 24 hour-a-day maintenance by the inmate work crew. The funding for fish, feed, maintenance and repair of most of the equipment involved in the fish rearing program is provided by the Trask Hatchery.

The initial program at Tuffy Creek was to receive 103,000 Spring Chinook salmon in March of each year from the Trask Hatchery for rearing and subsequent release in August. In 1995 the program expanded to include a 50,000 wild winter steel head program as well. The steel head are transferred into Cedar Creek Hatchery in November for rearing, then later released in April."

Hope this adds to the knowledge base.:)

GD

H
halibuthitman
dang.... thats some top secret info... where you find it?:clap::think:

G
GDBrown
halibuthitman said:
dang.... thats some top secret info... where you find it?:clap::think:

Just google "South Fork Prison Camp; Oregon" There is lots of info out there..... I just wish I could Google " Where to catch spring Chinook today" and get as much info. LOL

GD

Reactions: Echskech
O
OnTheDrop
Yeah they dump the vast majority by the Guide shop.. So for all the guides that fish the lower river with there drift boats hook into more fish... DOnt get me wrong they go up higher too. But a lot dont pass the guide shop as well...