Willamette success

plumb2fish
sunday willamette.jpg
Trolled green label with bling on sunday went 3-4
 
beaverfan
Nice job, beautiful fish! Judging by that bottom pic I'd say you were above the falls somewhere? Even better!
 
plumb2fish
Bottom pic was an accident....been deleted... all were caught between St. john's and Sellwood...1st was up hill troll at Sellwood next 3 were down hill troll with last bite just above St. John's Bridge
 
Sinker
Holy smokes, nice fish. I gotta get out there!

I am new to the NW, and I wish I knew what green label with bling is. Do you think a kayak would be fast enough for trolling in that area? I just moved to Portland and I have my eye on a used fishing kayak.

Nice work.
 
plumb2fish
Brined green label herring, plug-cut. Bling means behind a flasher. My rig consists of: A sinker slider on the main line with 12" dropper line attached to slider with 4-8 oz cannon ball sinker, A golf tee bead and a large clevise tied to main line. 12" 30lb mono with regular swivel on one end bead chain on other. regular swivel attached to clevise from main line. Flasher attached to bead chain swivel. 5' leader 20-25lb mono with 2/0 - 3/0 mooching rig attached to bead chain to flasher. brine is :cup pickling salt, table spoon powdered milk, teaspoon anise extract, teaspoon of Bad Azz chartreusse bait dye to 1 quart of distilled water. place whole frozen herring(2 flats)in brine the night before fishing and keep on ice throughout the day. Cut plug as needed.
 
Last edited:
plumb2fish
Sinker said:
Holy smokes, nice fish. I gotta get out there!

I am new to the NW, and I wish I knew what green label with bling is. Do you think a kayak would be fast enough for trolling in that area? I just moved to Portland and I have my eye on a used fishing kayak.


Yes a kayak will be fine. you want to move just fast enough to get your herring to spin once every second or so, up or down stream. we were fishing at aprox 15-22' reguardless of bottom depth. if bottom was closer than 15' we adjusted to just above.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Santiam338
nwkiller
nice work man, nice fish!
 
Santiam338
Congrats on a great trip..St. Johns is where we did all our damage..Even when the bite wasn't on there was always something to look at with the ships,tugs and such..I had a blast there..
 
NavyBTret
Great job. I went out to the Mult channel this morning with my dad and uncle. We went 5 for 8 but three were high-fins and had to go back. I'll try to post a pic in a little bit.
here it is.
 
Last edited:
GDBrown
I'm Jealous! I spent 4 hours out there today and nary a nibble. Only thing I saw biting was the SeaLion and the sturgeon. I was marking plenty of fish but they didn't want anything I put down there. Blinged herring, spinners, K-15, Wiggle Wart, Eggs! Nothing seemed to do it for me today. I was between the St. Johns bridge and the channel the whole time.

Truth is I love to fish I'm just not very successful, unless there are trout in the river and I have my 5wt in hand.

GD
 
Thuggin4Life
NIce fish! Wish I had more money so i could contuniue thisv run and fish the lower willy. guess i have to wait for boots now.
 
schroegp
You guys think the 9.9 hp on my driftboat could handle the willamette down by St. John's? I've had it in the river up by clackamette park and could barely make any headway going up river. Seems like the river is wider and slower down lower. Wanted to see what you guys thought before I have to have a buddy row while the engine is running full bore ;-)
 
plumb2fish
you would be fine anywhere from Sellwood down as long as you are not in a hurry...when trolling herring for salmon in my drift boat, i had to drag two wind socks to slow down enough to start getting bit....
 
rapidwaters
Has anyone fished the Willamette recently? How was the salmon bite? I have a fishing trip this weekend, 05/26/2011 and I wanted to know if it is worth fishing with the water so high. Also taking my son and would like to get him his first salmon.
 
TheFishingHex
rapidwaters said:
Has anyone fished the Willamette recently? How was the salmon bite? I have a fishing trip this weekend, 05/26/2011 and I wanted to know if it is worth fishing with the water so high. Also taking my son and would like to get him his first salmon.

Went a couple days ago and it was so blown out, only like 5 boats on the water and didn't see anything get cought. we cought 3 squaw fish that was about it. No springers:(
 
Rusty Stern
schroegp said:
You guys think the 9.9 hp on my driftboat could handle the willamette down by St. John's? I've had it in the river up by clackamette park and could barely make any headway going up river. Seems like the river is wider and slower down lower. Wanted to see what you guys thought before I have to have a buddy row while the engine is running full bore ;-)

Like the other guy said, from Sellwood down is fine. I have a 14' Kalama with an old 9.9 on it an dI ahve trolled everwhere from the golf course above Sellwood through downtown. I have been out on another boat in the harbor area down to the head of the MC and it is all pretty much doable with a small motor. The MC is cranking pretty good though. Watch it in there if it is outgoing.
 
R
R&M Boatsaleslady
Wow that is a NICE FISH!!!

Does anyone catch fish from the bank of newburg.....
 
Top Bottom