Willamette sturgeon

REELY HOOKED
REELY HOOKED
Are there any good Sturgeon spots around Cedar Oaks launch in West Linn? Native Oregonian that hasn't done much Sturgeon fishing. I want to get my grandsons into some fish.

Thank you

R
Rockitout
Under and around the Oregon City Bridge should have some. Lots or rain, lots of flow, water under the bridge is 100' deep. Know what your doing if you anchor up right now.

REELY HOOKED
REELY HOOKED
I have fished there, I am not brave enough to fish there with the water up and fast. I was hoping for an area below West Linn. I have a 15' Smokercraft that gets pushed around in heavy currents.

troutdude
troutdude
Reactions: Troutski and REELY HOOKED
bass
bass
The sturgeon move around a fair bit. They are spread all over. Look for deeper holes (there are a million of them) but an easy one to find is downstream from Cedaroak around Lake Oswego. There is a big concrete structure. that boats used to dock up to. The water around there is 100 to 140' deep. You will want about 3x that in length to have a proper scope.

Look around on your FF for sturgeon near the bottom. If you don't get bit in 20 minutes then pull up and move a bit. If you move around enough you should find fish.

Also, watch the tides. The Willamette is tidal up to the falls. Best bite is on the outgoing.

Good luck!

Reactions: fromthelogo, Admin and troutdude
REELY HOOKED
REELY HOOKED
I finally got the chance to go out Saturday Dec. 5th. Great day, lots of bites no fish. The spot by the cement wall seemed great but I couldn't keep the boat still in the wind.

Reactions: troutdude
bass
bass
Sorry you did not land any but sounds like you were doing things right if you were getting bites.

It is best (and easiest) to fish the lower river on the outgoing tide (especially a larger exchange). The bite picks up and boat control is easier. Even for my kayak I bring a drift sock to deal with the wind (a bucket works as well).

If I am blowing around the only real remedy is constant attention to the rod. I hold the rod and keep it pointed at the bait. I also keep my reel in free spool with just enough thumb tension to let line slip out if I get blown too far. If I get blown back I reel the slack back in and then take the reel back out of gear. Fishing straight downstream with a longish cast also helps the line be less impacted by the boat moving.

If they have them, powerboats with kickers run their kicker in reverse to keep the boat relatively still. I am jealous when I see them doing that - it looks pretty effective.