Willamette Sturgeon near falls

S
SNDSLGR
Hey now! I usually fish the lower section of the Willy for sturgeon and would like to learn the water from the falls down. I like exploring so no trouble finding holes themselves but would like a little insight for saftey etc...

I have been warned about anchoring being tough in this area and high chances of not getting said anchor back. Is this true? Are there just some bad spots and if so, where?

Any other advise or guidence about finding the sturgeon and boating in this area is appreciated.

H
halibuthitman
you using a navy style anchor or a rocker? did you notice the 4 folgers can concrete back-up anchors in my boat? he he aaaaah sturgeon fishing you cruel mistress!!! I can show you how to rig a navy or rocker to "pop" when you run on them, helps sometimes.

S
SNDSLGR
I have a river rocker. I also have acess to all kinds of scrap steel and I am sure I can find something appropriate... thats kind of why I am asking. Sounds like I should get some cheap rope and a piece of scrap to use so as not to loose my good stuff.

F
FishFinger
you have a secret rigging for a fluke (danforth) anchor?

H
HANKIII
It is pretty bad there I gotta few anchors about 80 feet deep.

M
Marvin's Guide Service
If you fish in the downtown Portland area, you dont have to worry about losing you anchor.

there is some good fishing by the steal bridge.

S
SNDSLGR
Yeah I have fished from Ross Island down quite a bit. Just wanting to open up my options from Ross isld to the falls... particularly from the Clack to the falls.

H
HANKIII
It is good fishing there thats for sure ! Ive pulled a lot of keepers out of there,in fact filled 2 tags there last year.... I found out newberg you can keep them 7 days a week so that is where i go.... Got in a fight with an oversize on monday :clap: It won after about an hour :think:

M
Marvin's Guide Service
I don't rhink you can keep sturgeon 7 day a week in Oregon.
maybe i am wrong but dont think so.
you can fish 7 days a week but only keep 3 days.

B
beaverfan
Ya you can keep Sturgeon seven days a week above the falls on the Willamette. I called a couple weeks ago to check.

H
HANKIII
I also called and talked to state trooper who s topped and checked my license and tag. Good to go for that great white steak !!

M
Marvin's Guide Service
wow, guess I need to call and find out my self.
i just wen to odfw page and the sid no.

CLACKAMAS, Ore. – After a difficult start to the 2009 fishing season precipitated by heavy snow and flooding, anglers are starting to venture back out onto the Willamette and Columbia rivers in pursuit of white sturgeon.

The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife reminds anglers that new regulations for sturgeon fishing are now in effect.

Permitted sturgeon fishing days have changed under the rules for 2009.

This year, retention of legal-sized sturgeon is allowed three days a week – Thursday, Friday and Saturday – on the Willamette River, Multnomah Channel and the Columbia River from Bonneville Dam downstream to the Wauna power lines at River Mile 40.

These areas are closed to sturgeon retention Sunday through Wednesday. However, they are open to catch-and-release fishing for sturgeon on these days.

The sturgeon season is currently open to retention 7 days a week below the Wauna power lines and above Bonneville Dam.

Another change that sturgeon anglers need to be aware of is the new method of measuring sturgeon for retention. The correct way to measure this species is from the tip of the nose to the fork of the tail. White sturgeon on the Willamette and Columbia from Bonneville to the Wauna power lines must measure 38-54 inches with this measure to be retained. A more detailed explanation of the new fork length measurement technique and why the change was made is available on ODFW’s Web site.

Some anglers have been cited recently for retaining fish on Sunday in the Willamette, which is illegal, and for retaining sturgeon that were improperly measured. Anglers should ensure that they are aware of which area they are fishing and which rules apply to avoid legal problems. A more detailed description of the sturgeon fishing dates and legal lengths is available on the ODFW Web site and by calling ODFW’s 24-hour information hotline at 503-947-6001.

maybe the changed there mind. hope i would like to fish up there.

S
stonesworth
Sellwood is a nice spot by the golf course We have had many great days and a few oversized fish as well..Deli squid has been good this year as for bait we have had more oversized fish using it this year I think we used smelt last year still filled tags but no oversized..YouTube - Video0004

M
Marvin's Guide Service
ok sorry for the news, I called odfw today they said no matter were you fish for sturgeon in oregon you can only keep them 3 day a week....
So you might not want to kerep them on mondays...

But you do what you think is right....

I am not trying to be a *******, just dont want to see sturgeon fishing screwed up more then it is...

good luck

B
beaverfan
I have talked to two seperate people with ODFW and they both said it was open 7 days a week above the falls. I will email them tomorrow and ask them to send me an email clarifying. I called somebody from the Clackamas office and the Corvallis office.

M
Marvin's Guide Service
yea let me know what you find out,

B
beaverfan
I will because they need to get there story straight. If it's closed they should be aware of it and not telling people the opposite.

M
Marvin's Guide Service
that is the state for you.......lol

M
Marvin's Guide Service
well, what did you find out today?

M
Marvin's Guide Service
I was sturgeon fishing today down by sauvie Island, I saw a state cop, i asked him about fishing above the falls.
He said you can keep them 3 days a week and that is it.

also said they are talking about not letting us catch and release next year.
that would really suck.
I do allot of sturgeon fishing on the off days.