willamette steel

brandon4455

brandon4455

has anyone ever tried steelhead fishing the willamette in the general area around salem/ independence/buena vuista and further up? theres some water that looks great for spinner/spoon fishign and bobber and jig. but i have only seen and heard of people plunking for them. id just rather use the gear that i have and i have some spoons to test out. is it worth a shot? or is this gunna be like fishing for one fish in a big lake?

C

capblack

its better to fish for one fish in a big lake than to sit at home. give it a try

M

muskieguide

You'd be best off goin as close as you can to the mouth of the Santiam. The fish will hold there

troutdude

troutdude

Yeah, give it a whirl. What have you got to lose? If no steel, maybe you'll grab some bass, cutts or ??? w/ your spoons and such.

M

markasd

Yes I have! It has been more productive for me to get em plunked, than any other method I have tried = spinners, jig-n-bobber and drifting. Drifting I've picked up suckers and broke off a ton of gear. Never got lucky spinning although I know of some guys that have over on Lincoln Rocks - boulder patch directly across from Spongs Landing. Good smallie fishing too!!
Pretty much a plunking game for me - actually one of the only places I plunk is the Willy and kinda look forward to the few times a year I get down there to do it - when the springers come over. I'll let ya know when I start - usually march/april but work this year has been slammed, so not sure what kinda fishin' I'll getta do!