Willamette smallies

W
wetfly
Gonna have some time to go the Willamette for some bass from the 'yak in the next week or 2 and looking for some ideas. I was thinking Canby/Wilsonville but haven't had put a boat in there. Any recommendations would be great!! I live in Hillsboro if that helps at all.

Thanks for your input!

bass
bass
Roger's landing in Newberg is a nice place to launch and there is good bass fishing in that area. There is a fee. If you want to fish that area and avoid the fee you can launch at the kayak launch in Dundee. I have not bass fished the area, but the launch at Hebb park is a nice small quiet launch. I have only fished there in the winter (unsuccessfully for sturgeon).

In the summer I launch out of Cedaroak, Oak Grove Blvd, Swan Island and George Rogers park. I tend to not fish the lower Willie this time of year due to the number of springer fisherman in the area. I feel like I have to have my head on a swivel the whole time and that takes away a lot of the fun as far as I am concerned.

EOBOY
EOBOY
wetfly said:
I live in Hillsboro if that helps at all.

Thanks for your input!

Yeah, listen to Bass. I live in hillsboro and Rogers is best. Go over Bald Peak it's the short route. Ash Island is right there stay to the right You'll know where to fish:hi:I also fish all the others below the falls he mentioned, but I hate the drive.....LOL

F
Fishpdx
I know a couple spots on the willy near portland but not where your located.

bass
bass
Carp said:
I know a couple spots on the willy near portland but not where your located.

I forgot to mention Sellwood (roll down to the dock and launch) and Willamette park (there is a fee) as other good launch spots. Any other launch spots you can share?

F
Fishpdx
bass said:
I forgot to mention Sellwood (roll down to the dock and launch) and Willamette park (there is a fee) as other good launch spots. Any other launch spots you can share?

I only had those 2 in mind , unless you want to carry your kayak.

W
wetfly
Sweet! Thanks...I spend half my time working in Aurora too so those spots will work great. Pics of trips to follow!

S
Snagglehook
bass said:
In the summer I launch out of Cedaroak, Oak Grove Blvd, Swan Island and George Rogers park.

I've been wanting to launch my kayak out of Oak Grove Blvd ever since I first paddled past it, but I can't figure out where to park. I know it's a public boat launch, but it's feels more like a residential cul de sac where the house on the end is the Willamette River.

Am I just being to paranoid about parking on the gravel strips in front of those last houses? It feels like I'm all up in someone's yard and I'd hate to come back to a nasty note on my car or worse.

bass
bass
I have launched there a bunch of times in the past (I have not launched there in a year or two). When I did fish there I just parked on the gravel area in front of the first house on the right side as you head up the hill. Never had any complaints.

WARNING though. The edge of the ramp drops off precipitously (5 or 6 feet straight down). Be careful launching and retrieving. Should be OK now but during the summer it can be tricky if you try to launch or get out during low tide.

I
iairj84
I am a lazy guy when it comes to launching the kayak so I prefer the easiest route possible... That being said I fished the Willamette park area around the house boats on both sides of the river and caught 4 smallies in about 3 1/2 hours in the afternoon Friday out of my kayak. Yes there's a fee to launch there, but it's a nice easy in an out situation.

F
Feel That Bass
Tried to get some smallie yesterday at canby willy but no luck. The day before that, however, caught me a 2 pounder at willy mission. They were very active out there at the time. BTW, does anyone know what happened to the dock? (the dock at wilamette mission park) It's like, gone.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
You can launch in Wilsonville - there's a couple decent spots you could put in a yak - one at the city park near city hall, the other at the dead end of Boones Ferry Rd west of I-5. I've fished there from the bank and done very well on smallmouth, and fished that stretch from boats as well. If you avail yourself to the two rod endorsement and choose to fish a meat line with say, a big nightcrawler or a hunk of fish - you might be surprised at what you catch. Caught sturgeon, BIG squawfish (pikeminnow), and channel cats in that vicinity. Or you can put in at the marina on the south side of the river if you want an easier launch, but you'll have to content with quite a bit of boat traffic, and I think there's a fee to use the launch.

Rogers landing is very nice - good mix of small and largemouth bass to be found up there, as well as crappie.