Willamette river smallmouth bass

brandon4455
brandon4455
havent caught any smallmouth on the willamette in a long a$$ time and i want to get at it again so..does anyone have fly and lure or bait suggestions ? i can't catch them very consistently anymore for some reason..heres what i use: 1/6 oz black roostertail worm on the bottom or under a bobber rebel crawfish crankbaits and some rapala ones too.

brandon

C
colbypearson
brandon4455 said:
havent caught any smallmouth on the willamette in a long a$$ time and i want to get at it again so..does anyone have fly and lure or bait suggestions ? i can't catch them very consistently anymore for some reason..heres what i use: 1/6 oz black roostertail worm on the bottom or under a bobber rebel crawfish crankbaits and some rapala ones too.

brandon

smallmouth baits in general:

tubes, rigged with an inside lead jig head 1/4oz is a good all around weight to use and i prefer 3.5" tubes for smallies

senkos, work on all bass wacky rigged or texas green pumpkin is a good color for anyone to use 4"-5" both work great

dropshot, another good river smallmouth rig i like to pitch it next to cover on rivers with a heavy 1/2-3/4 weight enough to keep bottom contact i dont move the rod just let it sit on a tight line it drives smallies wild!

spinnerbaits, can work if the fish are eating baitfish i like chartreus and white or natural bait fish colors

topwater, in the summer dont go without it spooks,poppers,buzzbaits are good ways to get smallies

jigs, if theyre eating craws you can't beat a jig fished around cover i like brown variations the best

i would focus on location location location, fish with no preconcieved notions and fish the day like it was new until you figure them out try different types of cover once you find good spots then you can obviously look back and use them later, but to start fish the extremes....deep-shallow, rocks-trees, slack water-current and so on, good luck

D
Drew9870
^^^ Senkos are the shiz.

Wait until Summer, if you can get out to Salem, I'll show you the sweetest spot for Smallies.

brandon4455
brandon4455
thank you guys i really appriciate the help :D and drew, ill take you up on that offer ;)

brandon4455
brandon4455
i have some football jigheads that are black with red hooks, and thewy have a spring for licking soft plastics in..will these be good for senkos and shaky head stuff?

C
colbypearson
brandon4455 said:
i have some football jigheads that are black with red hooks, and thewy have a spring for licking soft plastics in..will these be good for senkos and shaky head stuff?

i would put a craw imitatio on them for smallies like a yum craw papi or a berkley chigger craw or a twin tail grub all good smallmouth trailers

brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks colby, ill be posting my results when the water starts to warm up.. it's been a while mr. bronzeback you have a date with my lure

F
fish4life
I ussually catch them on 1/4 oz jigheads and mister twister 3" grubs chartruse works well.

T
The Nothing
Up here in the Lower Willamette anything in a craw pattern kills 'em all year long..