Willamette River/ Sellwood Bridge fishing

T
tnffishman
Hey, I spend most of my summers sittin at home when i would like to be out fishing. So I pledged it would be different this time. I don't have a car but I am within bike distance of Sellwood Bridge/ Oaks Park area. My uncle used to tell me he would catch carp and bass down there, and I was wonderin if anyone was familiar with the area and could help me out.... thanks:pray:

F
Fishtopher
I fish down there a lot, but make sure to use hand sanitizer, and dont mess around in the water more than you have to, if at all. There is a sewer leak just down river from the sellwood bridge on the east side of the river. But, the spot may be alright in the summer time, or during any drought period. I know the hand sanitizer thing sounds sissy, but believe me man! Its sewer water!!:lol:

But to the fishing! I catch sturgeon from that park right by Oaks Park. I usually use pickled squid there.
I catch random bass along the shore, or under the floaty thing with spinnerbaits, crawdad plastics, or night crawlers down there.
I catch catfish after dark with chicken liver, or night crawlers.
I caught a WALLEYE on a night crawler there in the 90's!:dance:
I have heard of folks catching some kind of flat fish similiar to a halibut there on a night crawler.
Thats about it for bankin' it there. Boat is a whole nother story!

There is a spot up river aways from the bridge we have dubbed "Hobo Jungle". The name says it all. I :naughty:never:naughty: go there alone, OR "un-equipped". Lots of primo bass fishing along the bank. This is a spot I always considered one of the "honey holes" for Bass fishing. Careful down there!!

N
ninja2010
Fishtopher said:

so... what's the story for a boat, pray tell...

F
Fishtopher
Long book.....

Long book.....

:think:I dare say you have a decent chance at hooking every kind of fish that resides or tours the river at that spot, give or take 100yds from the bridge. My dear Watson...:lol:

T
tnffishman
Fishtopher said:
I fish down there a lot, but make sure to use hand sanitizer, and dont mess around in the water more than you have to, if at all. There is a sewer leak just down river from the sellwood bridge on the east side of the river. But, the spot may be alright in the summer time, or during any drought period. I know the hand sanitizer thing sounds sissy, but believe me man! Its sewer water!!:lol:

But to the fishing! I catch sturgeon from that park right by Oaks Park. I usually use pickled squid there.
I catch random bass along the shore, or under the floaty thing with spinnerbaits, crawdad plastics, or night crawlers down there.
I catch catfish after dark with chicken liver, or night crawlers.
I caught a WALLEYE on a night crawler there in the 90's!:dance:
I have heard of folks catching some kind of flat fish similiar to a halibut there on a night crawler.

There is a spot up river aways from the bridge we have dubbed "Hobo Jungle". The name says it all. I :naughty:never:naughty: go there alone, OR "un-equipped". Lots of primo bass fishing along the bank. This is a spot I always considered one of the "honey holes" for Bass fishing. Careful down there!!

So what do you think my best chance of hooking up with ANY species is down there. I will most likely be taking my neighbor who is pretty young and i am trying to teach him how to fish. I went there las summer with worms off the main dock at the park without any luck. I also tried directly under the bridge but it was very clear i didn't know what I was doin. So are you fishing off the dock? And what type of a rig-up do you usually use? Thanks, TNFFISHMAN(Taylor):pray:

T
tnffishman
Fishtopher said:
:think:I dare say you have a decent chance at hooking every kind of fish that resides or tours the river at that spot, give or take 100yds from the bridge. My dear Watson...:lol:

what bait and method would you reccomend for fishing the sellwood bridge area for th MOST action... thanks:D

T
The Nothing
IIRC i've not caught anything from sellwood park, but have spent a lot of time there. Most all of my fishing was done with lures. I'm not a bass pro by any means, but looks like they should be there.

I've had better luck, slightly, on the otherside of the bridge there by the marina.

A
ArcticAmoeba
If you are looking to Bass it up there, we caught a ton last summer on Watermelon grubs, and a buncha 5 inch purple grubs with a big Chartreuse curl tail. Simple plastic fishin tactics. Sink it, jerk it, reel on it here and there. But there are lots of Bass on the rocks down there. A fish finder on some guys 'yak determined this for us last year.

F
FishSchooler
Dont ferget yer senkos....... :D

T
tnffishman
well i just couldnt wait and i headed down there the other day with my telescopic pole and some bass gear to NO luck. But did see where I should hit next, and I think i will use worms also next time.

F
Fishtopher
I was down a few days ago too. Got skunked at Sellwood Park, moved down river, to the north a bit to get directly on the East side of Ross Island(Oaks Bottom/Hobo Jungle). Caught 2 smallies, 3 mud cats, 1 decent size carp that I long lined after a good fight, and 1 fish that broke me off before I got to see it.

Crawdad plug for 1 bass, and the fish I didn't get to see, worms for the cats, corn for the carp.

:think::think:"Down river, to the north" sounds a bit weird huh:lol:? How many other rivers around here flow mostly South to North? :think:I can't think of many right now....John Day kinda...

T
tnffishman
how do you get to the hobo jungle?:think: