Willamette River Eugene area

Q
qwapaw
Anyone able to tell me about Steel Head fishing in the Wilamette River between Eugene and Harisburg? I want to fish this area this winter from the bank and don't know when too. I know the first fish go up the Clackamas, and so on. I just don't know when the fish get here. I think I can fish it even with my bad legs. Thanks for any help you can give me. Tight lines Qwapaw

B
bran_man
Definitely done for the year. sorry man. I don't usually fish the town run, but I know the run is pretty much in full swing around June and July. and people catch pretty consistently until like November ish. the river right now also looks like a nice thick chocolate milkshake too. when the Willy blows out, its ruined for weeks! :( good luck next year though for sure! It is a pretty good run.

B
bran_man
P.S. this part (i believe most if not all) of the Willamette as well as the McKenzie does not have a winter steelhead run except for the few stragglers there get there by mistake and those are pretty few far and between. if you want to go winter steelhead, you're going to have to go coastal. there are some rivers with good winter runs around our area, but quite a bit longer drive than the town run. hope that helps. :)

Q
qwapaw
Anyone know why there were so many sleds on the Willy North of Eugene last week end? I even saw a couple guys bank fishing under the Belt Line Bridge too. It makes me hopefull. Thanks all, Dan (qwapaw)

T
Throbbit _Shane
I saw a couple sled trailers at Armitage Park Sunday. My best guess was that they were hunting. I could be wrong though.

R
rippin fish lips
Throbbit _Shane said:
I saw a couple sled trailers at Armitage Park Sunday. My best guess was that they were hunting. I could be wrong though.

Mostly hunting. And i would assume some are out enjoying the high water opportunity to explore more river either (to have fun, scout for springer holes/steelhead likelys for high water, hunting). My best guess. This is the time of year for coastal steelhead. Steel is done here for sure. Few come in the winter and are not worth fishing for. Dont waste your time, u will get bored quick if u try.

this is the time of year that i start looking for new rock bars/pools that will stay the same after winter along with ones that may change into something epic to fish. But i dont fish them until the time is right to keep the pressure off them. I also like to go back to all my holes this time of year to look at them and get a feel of what might be under the water before i fish them come spring/summer

D
dtikey
qwapaw said:
Anyone know why there were so many sleds on the Willy North of Eugene last week end? I even saw a couple guys bank fishing under the Belt Line Bridge too. It makes me hopefull. Thanks all, Dan (qwapaw)

yes most of the sleds were hunting but wouldnt be suprised if some were actually fishing for native winters that DO run up the willie all the way to the dam.Still little early for them up here but this higher flow will help.There is not nearly the amount as summer but have had great days in the past in late febuary march and early april with out any compation.Middle April start to get summers and get mixed bag with the chrome summers and big fat colored nates.I say if your able then fish it plus will learn the area for summers and springers as they come by thier

Reactions: eugene1
Q
qwapaw
I drive down the length of it to Harrisburg every day. I just was hoping for some after work fishing. Maybe this Spring. Thanks for the replies. Dan

R
rippin fish lips
qwapaw said:
I drive down the length of it to Harrisburg every day. I just was hoping for some after work fishing. Maybe this Spring. Thanks for the replies. Dan

If i were you, i would hit it late march, april, may and beggining of june. Best bet at springers down there. Also good chance at an early steelhead April-june.