Willamette in Portland

R
ramor7
Hi All,

Do there happen to be any recommended bank spots on the Willamette river in the Portland metro area for bank fishing steelhead? I read that spring Chinook is closed below the falls, so I'm assuming that there are no restrictions north of there for steelhead or salmon.

I'm still getting acclimated to the area rivers, this forum has been incredibly helpful. Thanks for any additional advice!

F
FishSchooler
I don't think it's very "metro" but it is pretty close to portland. It's in gladstone, but meldrum bar provides lots of bank access for plunkers. I'm not sure if people use spinners or bobbers, but plenty of plunkers go there. Easy to access, you can just drive onto the bar, get out and fish right there. Good luck!

p.s. above the falls is south. ;)

R
ramor7
FishSchooler said:
I don't think it's very "metro" but it is pretty close to portland. It's in gladstone, but meldrum bar provides lots of bank access for plunkers. I'm not sure if people use spinners or bobbers, but plenty of plunkers go there. Easy to access, you can just drive onto the bar, get out and fish right there. Good luck!

p.s. above the falls is south. ;)

See, I'm thoroughly confused and need all the help i can get!:)

How about near the marina in Portland? Does anyone have any experience plunking there?

thanks again!

F
FishSchooler
If you are talking about the one where the dragon boaters depart (i don't know), I don't think so... All i know of and have been to is meldrum bar. You might plunk from clackamette park too

T
The Nothing
There's also Kelly Point where you can the mouth of the Willamette.

I've worked a few parts of the Willamette from the bank without any luck so far. Meldrum really is the best bet - thats why everyone is there...

D
DinhRose
ramor7 said:
Hi All,

Do there happen to be any recommended bank spots on the Willamette river in the Portland metro area for bank fishing steelhead? I read that spring Chinook is closed below the falls, so I'm assuming that there are no restrictions north of there for steelhead or salmon.

I'm still getting acclimated to the area rivers, this forum has been incredibly helpful. Thanks for any additional advice!

Look my fishing buddies are going to crucify for this but nothing worst than having the fishing fever but nowhere to go. So i am going to spill some well kept secrets. if you want to fish the metro area without being hassled then try the following location. take i5 north. get off at greely st and head for Freightliner. Park in the lot next to McDonald's and head toward the river. fish along there. This is great for plunking for steelhead and sturgeon. Just ignore the dead bodies.