Willamette falls steelhead counts

F
fishfinatic
i was reading the odfw counts for the willamette and it shows quite a few steelies coming up does anyone no about how long it will be before they are around dexter damn eugene area. it sure would be nice to have a river somewhat close without all the crowds. thanks to all

M
Mike123
There are probably fresh native winters around.
This is the best run of winters we've had over the falls in like 10 years!
Come March I'll be after them and early summers on the South Santiam.
Probably takes them a couple weeks to make it up there from the falls. :think:

B
bigsteel
i believe its 12 to 14 days it takes them to reach that far..........i can't wait looks like it will be a great year for the santiam

F
fishfinatic
thanks

thanks

right on i can't wait. i am a lot better with a smaller river but last year i did get five on a couple of trips here while i was living in bend. i hope they get here faster the only problem is i only know of dexter damn for good bank access.

T
TTFishon
fishfinatic said:
right on i can't wait. i am a lot better with a smaller river but last year i did get five on a couple of trips here while i was living in bend. i hope they get here faster the only problem is i only know of dexter damn for good bank access.

There's a fair amount of bank access at Alton Baker Park, the back of the parking lot at Valley River Center, along the Eugene bike path at various locations, Jasper Park or Jasper bridge, Elijah Bristow Park, and Clearwater Park.

H
Halfthrive
Most of the Steelhead comming over the falls are headed to the N. Santiam, it's the only upper Willamette trib that has a decent run of winter fish. Doesn't mean you can't catch a steelhead below the dam. Anytime the water levels drop enough you can catch summers in the system waiting to spawn. The Corp of engineers fish biologist fishes all year Dexter to Pengra all year long and almost always catches fish.

M
Mike123
That's the bad thing, is all of those winters that go over the falls have a wide variety of rivers they return to. I can think of 5 different rivers off the top of my head.

A
alm21
Along those lines, does anyone know about how long it takes them to travel from the mouth of the Clackamas up to Estacada?

B
beaverfan
That would probably take only take 3-4 days probably