Willamette Falls fish counts

jamisonace
jamisonace
Look at the flows and the temp. We're about to see some quadruple digit days!

E
eugene1
jamisonace said:
Look at the flows and the temp. We're about to see some quadruple digit days!

+1 that was my thought as well.

Or at least some triple digit days!

M
Modest_Man
When the counts stop getting updated it is time to hit the river. ;)

jamisonace
jamisonace
Yep.

When they start getting backed up on the counting I start getting excited. I'm hoping for an April fish by my house in Springfield.

Modest_Man said:
When the counts stop getting updated it is time to hit the river. ;)

jamisonace
jamisonace
Triples to start but they'll ramp up to quads. Gotta think optimistically!

eugene1 said:
+1 that was my thought as well.

Or at least some triple digit days!

E
eugene1
jamisonace said:
Triples to start but they'll ramp up to quads. Gotta think optimistically!

You're right, Jamie, and I hope lots of them come home this year! I just looked at last year's counts and there were 17 days with Springer counts over 1,000 fish per day. April 19 was the first day of over 1,000 fish with 2,375 and April 30 was the high day of the season for salmon passage with 2,696 fish. The numbers coming up should pop any day now with the water temperature coming into the favorable range.

I might hit the upper Willy again this year.

Best,

jamisonace
jamisonace
Let me know if you come up.

eugene1 said:
You're right, Jamie, and I hope lots of them come home this year! I just looked at last year's counts and there were 17 days with Springer counts over 1,000 fish per day. April 19 was the first day of over 1,000 fish with 2,375 and April 30 was the high day of the season for salmon passage with 2,696 fish. The numbers coming up should pop any day now with the water temperature coming into the favorable range.

I might hit the upper Willy again this year.

Best,

C_Run
C_Run
I'm still trying to figure out how to catch those things in the upper Willamette. Tens of thousands pass three blocks from my house every year but I've only ever caught one so far.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Lets float from the freeway to Buena Vista. It would be better with a sled but I bet we could find some near the mouth of the Santiam pulling plugs.

C_Run said:
I'm still trying to figure out how to catch those things in the upper Willamette. Tens of thousands pass three blocks from my house every year but I've only ever caught one so far.

O
OnTheDrop
jamisonace said:
Lets float from the freeway to Buena Vista. It would be better with a sled but I bet we could find some near the mouth of the Santiam pulling plugs.

count me in on that one...

When I'm not guiding on the Clackamas or Coast, I plan on catching some REAL close to Corvallis... Been scoping some areas, and think I got some travel lanes dialed, now I just need them to bite my Kwiks...

jamisonace
jamisonace
I think KF will be the ticket. I heard great reports last year.

OnTheDrop said:
count me in on that one...

When I'm not guiding on the Clackamas or Coast, I plan on catching some REAL close to Corvallis... Been scoping some areas, and think I got some travel lanes dialed, now I just need them to bite my Kwiks...

K
killigan
600+ over the falls yesterday, Mr. Burns knows how I'm feeling!

burns.gif

C_Run
C_Run
jamisonace said:
I think KF will be the ticket. I heard great reports last year.

Are you backtrolling the Kwiks or fishing from anchor? I am trying to come up with something to do in the Willamette from the kayak near home either trolling or off anchor. So far I have only used prawns and a winged bobber and a dropper from the bank. That has proven a very low-odds method for me at least. What are some other methods?

jamisonace
jamisonace
I'd back troll plugs for the most part probably. Maybe back bounce. I've never been on that water so I'd be prepared for both.

C_Run said:
Are you backtrolling the Kwiks or fishing from anchor? I am trying to come up with something to do in the Willamette from the kayak near home either trolling or off anchor. So far I have only used prawns and a winged bobber and a dropper from the bank. That has proven a very low-odds method for me at least. What are some other methods?

C_Run
C_Run
I have not fished plugs from a kayak but it's a puzzle. You can face upstream and not see what you are doing or face downstream and try to paddle backwards and see what you are doing. It's something I might try once.

jamisonace
jamisonace
yeah, I wonder how that would work.

I'm thinking a float will be in order in two to three weeks. I'd like to see about 8k to 10k fish over the falls and I'd hit it.
[MENTION=14334]OnTheDrop[/MENTION] You in if we go?

C_Run said:
I have not fished plugs from a kayak but it's a puzzle. You can face upstream and not see what you are doing or face downstream and try to paddle backwards and see what you are doing. It's something I might try once.

O
OnTheDrop
Yes, I'm in, as long as not working. Mid-Late May will be the time, give or take a week should be the peak crossing along , with the right water temps...

EOBOY
EOBOY
dang I get tired of saying this...................I want to to gooooooooooooo!

R
rippin fish lips
Let me know if you manage to make it up