Willamette by Newberg

F
fitzi6_7
Put the boat in at Newburg Saturday with the wife and youngest son. We just putted downstream sight seeing as I haven't really been on that section before. I saw no fishing going on which leads me to ask, are there any fish in that section of river worth going after? If so what species? It looked to be a great smallmouth section with lots of structure, but, wondered if there are steelhead and salmon there as well (trout too).

Brian

F
fishtales
Hey, fitzi6_7! I usually put in at Newberg or at San Salvador boat launch in St Paul. There seems to be good bass fishing in both stretches of the river. The Newberg hole is quite a bit deeper than up stream in St Paul. Bass and sturgeon are probably your best bet. I have caught salmon on the Yamhill so I know they travel up the Willy, it is just a matter of how strong the run is. Fish on!!!

R
rippin fish lips
fitzi6_7 said:
Put the boat in at Newburg Saturday with the wife and youngest son. We just putted downstream sight seeing as I haven't really been on that section before. I saw no fishing going on which leads me to ask, are there any fish in that section of river worth going after? If so what species? It looked to be a great smallmouth section with lots of structure, but, wondered if there are steelhead and salmon there as well (trout too).

Brian

Start fishing now. Fish are comin, and runnin right now. There is summer steelhead throughout the whole system now. Springers are just right behind them, with over 3,000 springers over the falls, 2,000 of them being the other day... in 1 day! It's gunna be a good year. Fish now, get your lines wet and time in.

THE time is now my friend. Springers will be showin up in about 10-15 days. Not in big numbers tho, but there will be fish around.

I
igot_it
There are springers in the river at Salem.The problem is that there is a big change in the river bottom from Newberg down to Lambert slough so the fish are harder to find. We always fished spinners in slots, and it really helps to learn the river well. We used back bounce spinners for them. Not as many hookups but not as many boats either. It's pretty cool area, actually. Fish are timed about five days behind the falls count if I remember right.

T
troutmasta
fitzi6_7 said:

Brian

that is my favorite piece of river to fish, it's super uncrowded and stacked with fish
take your boat up to were the yamhill and willamette combine and just toss number spinners for steelhead and salmon. there are also loads of smallmouth in sturgeon. sturgeon retention is year round about the falls!

bass
bass
Hey troutmasta, I was wondering if you could comment on what the current is like in that section of the Willamette? I am hoping to fish that section of the river for sturgeon and smallmouth this year in my kayak. I have been looking at google maps trying to figure the best launch point. It looks like there is an access called San Salvador Access upstream a bit and on the other side of the river. Looks like that would work well. Also, how far up the Yamhill can you take a boat/kayak? I would guess that is pretty fine smallmouth water (maybe similar to the lower Tualatin). Thanks for any information you can provide.

N
nwflyingdutchman
Hey Bass. I'm in the area and just got myself (and the misses) a couple kayaks. Took them out at the Chehalem Paddle launch just south of Dundee. San Salvador, and wheatland ferry are other good launch sites, as well as Rogers Landing. The Yamhill has a boat launch in Dayton. I haven't been able to do any fishing out in the area yet. When I went out on Sunday we stayed in the slower water on the north side of Ash Island. Paddled up stream to the main stem and was pretty surpised how fast it was flowing. Give me a PM if you're going to head out this way. My schedule is kind of crazy but maybe I can float around with you.

bass
bass
nwflyingdutchman said:
Hey Bass. I'm in the area and just got myself (and the misses) a couple kayaks. Took them out at the Chehalem Paddle launch just south of Dundee. San Salvador, and wheatland ferry are other good launch sites, as well as Rogers Landing. The Yamhill has a boat launch in Dayton. I haven't been able to do any fishing out in the area yet. When I went out on Sunday we stayed in the slower water on the north side of Ash Island. Paddled up stream to the main stem and was pretty surpised how fast it was flowing. Give me a PM if you're going to head out this way. My schedule is kind of crazy but maybe I can float around with you.

Sounds good. I have a pretty busy schedule as well plus some family vacations coming up. I may not make it down that way until July. I will drop you a PM when I get down that way.

T
troutmasta
bass said:
Hey troutmasta, I was wondering if you could comment on what the current is like in that section of the Willamette? I am hoping to fish that section of the river for sturgeon and smallmouth this year in my kayak. I have been looking at google maps trying to figure the best launch point. It looks like there is an access called San Salvador Access upstream a bit and on the other side of the river. Looks like that would work well. Also, how far up the Yamhill can you take a boat/kayak? I would guess that is pretty fine smallmouth water (maybe similar to the lower Tualatin). Thanks for any information you can provide.

Sorry fot the late reply. You can launch at rogers landing stick toward the north side of the willamette and headupstream. The current neart that edge isn't bad and Ive seen many kayakers up there. even the crazys on the stand up kind. Just go up river 1/3 of a mile and youll be behind the island. little if no current and great fishing! GOOD LUCK!! -TM

F
fitzi6_7
troutmasta said:
Sorry fot the late reply. You can launch at rogers landing stick toward the north side of the willamette and headupstream. The current neart that edge isn't bad and Ive seen many kayakers up there. even the crazys on the stand up kind. Just go up river 1/3 of a mile and youll be behind the island. little if no current and great fishing! GOOD LUCK!! -TM

I've seen a ton of boaters/canoe/kayak. Figured my trolling motor would be okay, but what about sturgeon in that area looks kinda shallow?

bass
bass
troutmasta said:

Thanks TM, that is great information!

T
troutmasta
fitzi6_7 said:
I've seen a ton of boaters/canoe/kayak. Figured my trolling motor would be okay, but what about sturgeon in that area looks kinda shallow?

Absofrigginlutley! In my opinion the best sturgeon fishery in the state. Thousands of them with 7 day a week retention! Ive salyed em in 10 feet of water before. The thing is you just hve to find what is relativley deep so if its all 45 ft find a 60-65 ledge. (of course in my opinion) Just took my buddy (college kid usa) to get his first keeper a couple weeks back. you can literally catch a salmon, steelhead, stugreon, and bass, right now with out ever even pulling anchor!!!

bass said:
Thanks TM, that is great information!
No prob see you out there

T
troutmasta
My profile pic is my wife out of newberg behind the island I speak of.

C
Combat Chuck
Is it fine to run a prop through this section? I have a buddy that moved up there and I may take the boat up for the day. I havent seen this section before. Thanks!

M
Modest_Man
A prop is fine. Average depth is probably ~ 4meters. We're still seeing steelhead and Chinook adults occasionally (once a day) in our sampling. Lots of bass, several smallmouth in the 4lb range. We're just now hitting adult largemouth upstream of Independence. We've caught probably about 30 different species of fish in the Willamette so far from the falls to Buena Vista. I just saw my first adult Pacific lamprey which was cool, we've got tons of ammocetes and one adult Western Brook lamprey until now. If people want I can throw together a list of species we've sampled so far.

The current around Newberg is very low. So low we don't even measure velocity. You can kayak/canoe/whatever probably all the way to Independence, velocity starts to pick up around there.

T
troutmasta
Combat Chuck said:
Is it fine to run a prop through this section? I have a buddy that moved up there and I may take the boat up for the day. I havent seen this section before. Thanks!
Definitely, however there are some very shallow spots behind island. Its super good fishing back there though. Also there's a ton of debris and trees under the surface of the water. I usually fishing it on sunday if you're ever out there send me a pm