Will the Sandy be on? Current conditions/forecast

F
fishfosho
What's the forecast for the Sandy River tomorrow? Do you think it will it be on & where (at least approximately)?

Got a whole day free tomorrow and it's looking like the river has dropped. Drove by tonight and it looked pretty green around Dabney. Saw a few guys pulling drift boats out at the end of the day and it's been a few days since I've seen that.

On a mission to hook my first winter steel.

Thanks!

brandon4455
brandon4455
first off all, welcome to the forum and i don't fish the sandy but, if the water looked decent it's well worth it. always good to fish a river when it's dropping it gets the fish on the move. i'm sue a few other people will have some tips for ya. tight lines,

brandon

E
eggs
Oxbow would be your best bank access bet..

K
Kais
Fished it today and the water was high and murky.

C
checkursix
Oxebow on Saturday was slightly high with good clarity. Don't think the run has started yet though...

F
fishfosho
Busted on Saturday. River was fishable, not bad weather, so a decent day...but nothing but squawfish at Dabney.

Anyone else pull one off the Sandy this weekend?

BTW: Somebody told me you can sell squawfish for $2/each in the Gorge. Is that correct?

M
Modest_Man
If by squawfish you mean northern pikeminnow and by Gorge you mean the Columbia and by $2 you mean $4-8 and up to $500 then yeah. :D Though the program ended in October I think?

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
The steel is in the sandy now . Go get some .

A
Anyfishisfine
checkursix said:
Don't think the run has started yet though...

Yeah, that's what I tell folks too. Some even buy into it, ignoring the nice natives that have been coming out of there for the last few weeks.

M
McMillan
Was out on the Sandy all morning today @ Glenn Otto park and not a single hit. Neither of the other guys out there got anything.

Probably just too cold, I measured 37F water temperatures.

Good luck for the next Folks heading out there!

Chris

A
Anyfishisfine
My guess is cold too. I was out there this weekend, and the water seemed perfect. Just too darn cold.

T
thebigdog00s
Was out at Cedar Creek. Nothing. River looked good but not a thing.

F
fishfosho
No bites in an hour or so near Buck Creek on Saturday noon or Dabney on Monday PM.

Ran into a guy who hooked a buck nate just above Oxbow on Saturday - said he almost froze his fingers off releasing it.

Does "too cold" mean you've got to present right in the nose in slow deep water?

M
McMillan
That's how I think about it. And to be honest the water was very clear last Tuesday so deep is probable DEEP in that case so they don't get spooked seeing you. According to other reports the big run on the Sandy hasn't just started yet. If you look at the Columbia river counts up at Bonneville they're in the one digit Steelhead counts per day. So I guess a little more patience and by the end of the month things should be Rock 'n' Roll...