Will my rod do??

B
bassman503
I have a 2-8 lb 7'0" okuma celio rod and am wondering if it could handle a steelhead with a good reel and a strong enough main line. I want to bobber fish with it, however I know that when bobber fishing it is better to use a longer rod for line mending and etc but I'm just 16 with no money. Gotta use what I have. So, what is your opinion? Again, i know that a 7'0 light rod isn't a typical bobber rod.. thanks

N
ninja2010
dicey, and not recommended. 2-8 lb rods are more of a noodle than a rod... if you set the drag correctly and are highly skilled in playing the fish, it might work. but a 7 footer is a little short for controlling your line when bobber fishing - can be done, if you're on higher ground that would help.

your main concern is if you hook into a freight train pissed off winter nate, you'll get spooled in no time. a noodle cannot turn or stop a freight train.

C
capblack
sounds like a kokanee downrigger rod. is it ideal for steel? far from it. will it get you by until you can afford another? absolutely. okuma makes a quality rod, whats the worst thing that could happen, you hook a nice steelhead, and get spooled? i could think of much worse things to happen. just go and give it a go. beats sitting on the couch thinking about fishing. Brian

A
adambomb
I managed this native hen on my 6'6" 4-8lb North River last winter. Was it easy? NO!! Would I do it again? You bet!! P3060041.jpg

T
Troutier Bassier
Yeah it will work.

M
mlw
Depends on which river system.
If it has only hatchery fish, ok. If it has both native and hatchery fish, don't do it - the length of time you need to play the fish will seriously compromise it's chance of survival - even if it swims off it may have built up enough lactic acid in its muscles to kill it.
Michael

M
metalfisher76
mlw said:
Depends on which river system.
If it has only hatchery fish, ok. If it has both native and hatchery fish, don't do it - the length of time you need to play the fish will seriously compromise it's chance of survival - even if it swims off it may have built up enough lactic acid in its muscles to kill it.
Michael

Very true! But ya,in a pinch it`ll do for the kid:)

B
bassman503
Alright. Thanks for the inputsssss

Badfish
Badfish
It will get you started. What you will notice is it's hard to control your line with such a short rod. After casting out, your main line will make contact with the water causing a "belly" which will pull your float downstream too fast. Long rods help aviod this.

However, in the mean time, look for holding water close to the bank so you don't have to mend your fishing line. Position yourself upstream so you have a drag free float toward the holding water.

Put a 9'6" rod on your birthday or Christmas list and good luck until then with what you have.

O
OutdoorsTeen
I would try using spinners. I had an utralight rod last year and i couldnt bobber fish with it all for obvious reasons. Spinners are personally my preference. There are spendy though