Will be in Springfield Thursday

B
baby huey
I will be arriving in Springfield, Thursday 15th. My primary reason for the visit is to meet my new granddaughter, she's a month old, but rest assured my flyrod will be packed, after all she has to sleep sometime.

I live in Texas, but my daughter (her husband and my two grandchildren) and son now live in Oregon, so I make a trip about twice a year to visit. Over the past few years I have become more interested in fly fishing in Oregon as well as Texas. Like I said, I will be arriving in Oregon Thursday, and I was wondering what is happening in the water around the Springfield area. I have fished the McKenzie around Leaburg and on up to the Cougar Dam.

I have never fished this area this early in the year, so I was wondering what I might could expect, or if I might should try some ather area nearby.

Troutski
Troutski
Welcome to OFF, we have two major rivers that run right by Springfield. The Mac and the Middle Fork of the Willamette, both have a nice population of resident Trout along with a very early run of Summer Steelhead. The Willy also has Small Mouth and Large Mouth Bass, both can be had by the fly. I rather prefer the Willy over the Mac mainly due to pressure, I would recommend the section from Dexter dam down stream to Jasper....plenty of bank access. If you like I can help with directions if you need them. If it wasn't for work I would be more than happy to show them to you, I can over the weekend. Give me a call and we can work out something...PM sent

Chuck

T
Thuggin4Life
Good luck on your visit. Don't know how long you will be here but we could take my boat out if you want to and troll loukout point reservoir. we did pretty good up there last time. Only thing is i am busy saturday and sunday. pm me if you think you would be interested. i have extra gear and an extra trolling rod.

B
baby huey
Thanks for the responses. I figure everything I do this trip will be "off the cuff"and not too time consuming, having to work around my daughter's and grandbaby's schedule. I do plan on being back in the late summer or early fall and will plan on doing a little more fishing. Thank's again for the info.

E
everett464
Another option, the Middle Fork out just past Oakridge under the Hills Creek Res. is nymphing extremely well, and it is very wadable. Only thing, its about an hour away.

Troutski
Troutski
everett464 said:
Another option, the Middle Fork out just past Oakridge under the Hills Creek Res. is nymphing extremely well, and it is very wadable. Only thing, its about an hour away.

Great idea, the flow is just about perfect. Golden Stones and Dark Woolie buggers with rubber legs. Cold water, very cold.....but worth it.

Chuck