Wild winters

M
Mad dog
Throbbit _Shane said:
How far from from Roseburg were u fishing. My buddy lives in Sutherlin and i plan on fishing that great river sometime when im up there.

Scottsburg is the head of tidewater and is around 40 miles or so from Sutherlin. There are several good plunking holes between Elkton and Scottsburg.

B
brysageek
where at???

where at???

How far were you guys from scottsburg there????

T
Thuggin4Life
Not to far.

B
brysageek
Lol

Lol

yeah sorry If I would have read on I would have saw that your weren't going to give up that hole, don't blame yeah. Yeah I live in Reedsport and need to land a Steelhead. All I know is how to plunk coming off the Rogue and all. I think that I will give it a try this Fri, between slack and high though I will check the tides and hopefully I will land one. thanks for the info!

T
Thuggin4Life
Didn't know guys plunked tidewater. I will tell you that people do like to plunk at bunch bar its almost to elkton coming from your way. I worked with a guy who like to go there and I see rigs there all the time when its the season to be there.

B
brysageek

Yeah I know right where thats at thanks for the info, I am still pretty new to the area so I am still figuring it all out

C
coasty
Nice steely!
Makes me sick to have to through them back though, as you can't keep natives anymore..
I like to go keep'n on the Siletz for winters. I know, it's not all about keeping them, but sure tastes good.
Nice job though man!! Makes me want to get out. Think I'm gonna try Eel Lake this Sunday. Caught two nice Steely's last Saturday trolling. Caught about ten or twelve coho - can't keep those though...

M
Mustangdan23
bigsteel said:
great pics man,,,,,im gonna have to give the umpqua a try looks like great fly fishing water...

Only the best in the states!!

M
Mad dog
The Umpqua enhancement derby is this Saturday and sunday, anyone heading to the river needs to plan on sharing your water with a floatilla of guide boats! It'll be crowded this weekend!

T
Thuggin4Life
Hey thanks for the heads up be thinking about heading back down there. Were will they be fishing at on the river or will they just be out everywhere?

M
Mad dog
Thuggin4Life said:
Hey thanks for the heads up be thinking about heading back down there. Were will they be fishing at on the river or will they just be out everywhere?

Your guess is as good as mine! :think: 16 teams with 2 boats per team and not a ton of fish in the forks yet, I think the Main will see a good portion of them.

Supposed to get a bunch of rain from now through the weekend, the Main might get pretty brown!

T
Thuggin4Life
Good I'll skip the parade and wait for the river to start dropping and clear up during the week. Thanks for the info.

M
Mad dog
Hit the Main this afternoon for a couple of hours, did a little side drifting, picked up one nice pretty quick, had one other decent looking bite. Water looked good, almost getting to low.
003-3.jpg

T
Throbbit _Shane
Thats a beautiful fish man. Good job. I plan on fishin the upper rogue some time this week....

B
bigsteel
great lookin fish,,,nice and bright:clap::clap::clap:

T
Thuggin4Life
Nice fish man. Looks like one of those rare and endangered wild steelhead OSP is trying to protect so hard. Been watching the charts for 2 days. Water has been slowly rising and building up flow. Thought maybe with the rain it would have made a good bite the last 2 days but also start to turn the color a bit. Was going to go today now I am kicking myself in the a$$. Where I go should be just a touch out of shape tomorrow and for a few days. But charts don't say it all. How far above elkton were you?

M
Mad dog
We were fishing around Cleveland rapids....close to the house! :D

The water was up a bit from monday with more color but still on the low side, looked pretty good really.

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah thats a ways up river from where I go. Lot of other things factor in down lower. Charts were wrong today I bet is hot down there.

F
fishnquest
After fishing the same stretch of water for two years now with nary a bite, a friend on a local forum told me he has good results plunking. I'm gonna try plunking for the first time this weekend and maybe a lot more this season.

Beautiful fish there, mad dog.

M
Mad dog
A little update, the Umpqua fishery enhancement derby is today and tommorrow. I was thinking it was a fri/sat. event, don't know how I got it in my head that it was going to be saturday and sunday this week. :think:

We hit the main yesterday for a few hours and caught one 6 lb hen and lost a larger fish that took off running in some ledge water within a few seconds of being hooked. The fish bolted so fast that it ran into the 2nd line while we were side drifting before it could be pulled in! What a mess! :rolleyes: Oh well...that's how it goes somewtimes! :D