Wild or re-grow

jamisonace
jamisonace
You can't tell by the pic but it sure looked like the flat part on the top was a healed clip on a re-grown fin.

What do you think?

Also, kill it and grill it or let it go?

image.jpg

E
eugene1
Adi is too big for me to mess with.

I vote let it go.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Ooooh, not sure I would want to take the chance.

P
playhooky
eugene1 said:
Adi is too big for me to mess with.

I vote let it go.

X2......I'm sure fish & game would see a fin there. Nice fish though!

O
OnTheDrop
Re grow. My boat would have released, but I've seen that many times. I had one of those paired with a Max clip... That one got bonked.

Troutski
Troutski
Looks to close...

Looks to close...

Release me please....

Chuck

Irishrover
Irishrover
Yes that looks like a bad clip job. But there is no way I'd roll the dice to keep that fish. Remember the words to that old Tom Jones song, please release me let me go, for you don't love me anymore! Now that song will be in my head all day.

H
Hookset
I would go along with Bad clip job. My boat would release it.

hobster
hobster
Looks like it is unanimous! Not worth the risk, but it does look like a bad clip job. Yours? What did/ would you do?

jamisonace
jamisonace
I debated in my mind for a second but released it. It was so obviously either a misclip or a regrow that it made me sick to let it go.

I catch more legitimately wild fish than anyone I know (per total fish), so this one hurt especially bad. When I told my wife about having to release a hatchfish she asked if I cried. Almost. lol

hobster said:
Looks like it is unanimous! Not worth the risk, but it does look like a bad clip job. Yours? What did/ would you do?

R
rippin fish lips
def a regrow/missclip. but with a fin that size, a money hungry cop would win

jamisonace
jamisonace
Without a doubt.

rippin fish lips said:
def a regrow/missclip. but with a fin that size, a money hungry cop would win

E
eat, sleep, fish
Without seeing it in person it's hard to tell. Looks flat at the base just in front of it, but hard to tell in a picture.

If it's obvious in anyway that it's been clipped, and is completely healed, they go home no matter how much fin is left. I had one that looks very similar to yours and had no problem keeping it because there was a very obvious flat spot.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Thank you for this response. I'll definitely think twice before releasing next time. I wish I'd taken a pic of the fin itself. There is no doubt by the clip mark and the small fin it was hatchery origin.

eat said:
Without seeing it in person it's hard to tell. Looks flat at the base just in front of it, but hard to tell in a picture.

If it's obvious in anyway that it's been clipped, and is completely healed, they go home no matter how much fin is left. I had one that looks very similar to yours and had no problem keeping it because there was a very obvious flat spot.