Wild and Scenic Trout

X
xranger
I have been invited on 7-day float trip on the Rogue, Wild and Scenic section, July 27-August 3. Probably not the best time for salmon and steelhead, but what about the trout fishing? Besides the main channel, are there productive tributaries worth hiking up? Lastly, having read that there is a limit of 5 adipose-clipped trout per day, are there any stockers down in that section of river? I think that section may be a long way downstream from stocking areas, but I don't mind eating a hatchery trout now and then.

Dave in Colorado

R
Razz
Salmon 2 days ago spinner's bring LOTS of sun BLOCK. No bait allowed.

M
Mad dog
Razz said:
Salmon 2 days ago spinner's bring LOTS of sun BLOCK. No bait allowed.

Nice report man....but once again you are wrong and of very little help! :naughty:

Dave in Colorado, Razz did get one thing correct....bring sunscreen!!! :lol: Bait is Legal in this section of river until sept. 1st. Salmon fishing will not be worth your time by the 1st weekend of August, you'll pretty much be smack dab between runs. I would persue trout or summer steelhead with float and fly combo's or small spinners, or drift fish with bead, corkies, E-Z eggs in combo with small pieces of night crawler on the hook....night crawlers are deadly on the Rogue for summer steelhead! Rogue summer runs are not huge fish, lot's of them will be less than 24" but can run into the low teens. a lot of Rogue summers return as half pounders, which are steelhead that will be anywhere from 8"-16", you can keep the adipose fin clipped steelhead, the half pounders will be the closest thing to a legal keeper trout you will find in that part of the Rogue.

Larger nymphs work well fished under a float, salmon fly nymphs, prince's, copper johns, I like beadheads, dark with lots of flash. For spinners try small blue fox or rooster tails, try anything from small and suttle to bright and obnoxious. For drift fishing try 6-8 lb leader, #4 gamakatsu octopus hooks, small to medium sized baits at the biggest! Any of these techniques will get you some trout and have an excellent shot at a summer steelhead. a lot of the trout you will be catching are possibly half pounders anyway! Especially anything fin clipped!

When you get to the Mouth of the Illinios river be aware that the Illinios is catch and release with artificial flies and lures only. The lower Illinios is deffinetely worth fishing at times! Look for steelhead in riffle's and long runs at the heads of deeper section of river, especially early in the morning!

Dave, if you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

E
eat, sleep, fish
Mad dog said:
Nice report man....but once again you are wrong and of very little help! :naughty:

Dave in Colorado, Razz did get one thing correct....bring sunscreen!!! :lol: Bait is Legal in this section of river until sept. 1st. Salmon fishing will not be worth your time by the 1st weekend of August, you'll pretty much be smack dab between runs. I would persue trout or summer steelhead with float and fly combo's or small spinners, or drift fish with bead, corkies, E-Z eggs in combo with small pieces of night crawler on the hook....night crawlers are deadly on the Rogue for summer steelhead! Rogue summer runs are not huge fish, lot's of them will be less than 24" but can run into the low teens. a lot of Rogue summers return as half pounders, which are steelhead that will be anywhere from 8"-16", you can keep the adipose fin clipped steelhead, the half pounders will be the closest thing to a legal keeper trout you will find in that part of the Rogue.

Larger nymphs work well fished under a float, salmon fly nymphs, prince's, copper johns, I like beadheads, dark with lots of flash. For spinners try small blue fox or rooster tails, try anything from small and suttle to bright and obnoxious. For drift fishing try 6-8 lb leader, #4 gamakatsu octopus hooks, small to medium sized baits at the biggest! Any of these techniques will get you some trout and have an excellent shot at a summer steelhead. a lot of the trout you will be catching are possibly half pounders anyway! Especially anything fin clipped!

When you get to the Mouth of the Illinios river be aware that the Illinios is catch and release with artificial flies and lures only. The lower Illinios is deffinetely worth fishing at times! Look for steelhead in riffle's and long runs at the heads of deeper section of river, especially early in the morning!

Dave, if you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

That's pretty much spot on. Although this year with the high cold flows there more than likely will be enough salmon around to give it a shot. I usually catch my first fall fish below Grants Pass the first week of August so there should be even more fish moving up early this year.

X
xranger
Thanks for the very informative reply. I'll be rowing my own raft, so will not be able drift fish very easily. But I hope to stop and shore fish whenever practical. It sounds like the price of a non-resident license would be worthwhile. Whether or not I keep and eat any fish is not important at all. The trip is being organized by some friends who are not fishermen, but I can't imagine myself floating through there without fishing.