Wickiup Reservoir Fishing Reports

JasonInBend
JasonInBend
Caught a limit (plus a bonus whitefish) trolling from my kayak with spinners behind small dodgers Sunday morning. All fish in the 16-18" range. Tons of fun from the kayak!

Reactions: freednog, Rifflemap, Snopro and 1 other person
bass
bass
That is awesome! Those sound like huge fish and a bonus whitefish to boot. Great job and thanks for the report.

JasonInBend
JasonInBend
Also the first time using the fish finder in the kayak. Rigged a battery box to use my existing dewalt li ion batteries - worked like a champ. This powered my Humminbird Helix 5. I've bench tested it and stopped paying attention after 8 hours on the 6ah battery.

61679520031__DA4270C2-EDED-4BE2-9963-E0477A637184.JPG

Reactions: 00Swede, Rifflemap and Snopro
S
Snopro
Excellent report and nice battery setup. What part of the lake were you fishing? I wonder if they will head up the Deschutes channel earlier than normal because of the low water level.

W
wils
is the launch ramp usable for small aluminum boat?

bass
bass
Definitely a nice battery setup. That battery is 6AH at 20V. Your FF only draws .615A at 12V and only about about .4A at 20V. That battery should last for a good 14 or 15 hours.

JasonInBend
JasonInBend
I never left the Deschutes channel. Was thinking I would head to the confluence, but didn't want to leave fish to find fish. There were small boats launching from the North Ramp while I was there but the trailers were completely off of the ramp - it looked a little bumpy.

Reactions: wils
W
wils
jfrost said:
I never left the Deschutes channel. Was thinking I would head to the confluence, but didn't want to leave fish to find fish. There were small boats launching from the North Ramp while I was there but the trailers were completely off of the ramp - it looked a little bumpy.

A litttle bumpy is ok. Thats why I keep my beat up aluminum boat here in central oregon. :)

00Swede
00Swede
jfrost said:
Also the first time using the fish finder in the kayak. Rigged a battery box to use my existing dewalt li ion batteries - worked like a champ. This powered my Humminbird Helix 5. I've bench tested it and stopped paying attention after 8 hours on the 6ah battery.

Awesome stuff right there. Wouldn't mind seeing a separate DIY post or video on that one.

Reactions: freednog
JasonInBend
JasonInBend
Didn't have as much time to fish today, but hit up Wickiup again this morning in the kayak. Picked up 8 kokanee and a sweet rainbow. Kokanee were all 15-17", and the bow was just under 22" and 4lbs. Fished from the North Ramp to the confluence, definitely, the confluence end of that run was the most productive. Most were caught on spinners behind dodgers - shorter leaders (10") were working better.

The ramp and large rocks at the end of it are now completely out of the water. But the side "ramp" seems to be working well for folks. Saw lots of boats launched there today.

Pics of fish, rigs, and the ramp.

Reactions: SciFly, Markk and Admin
troutdude
troutdude
NICE FISH MAN!!!!!!!

W
wils
Those fish are fatties. Thanks for the report and pics.

00Swede
00Swede
Looks like a darn nice day for not having much time to fish. (y)

G
Gulfstream
NICE!

JasonInBend
JasonInBend
Started from North Ramp @ 6am. Picked up 3 nice kokes in 30 minutes, just in front of the ramp in about 25'. Fished for another couple hours but couldn't keep the little guys off so I called it a day after picking up one more keeper. Saw some groups doing better, some worse. Ramp is in the same condition/level. Plan on using the side ramp if you're launching a boat.

W
wils
Thanks for your recent reports. I'll be launching about 5.30 manana. Heading out for some topwater bass but will be watching the FF for koke jigging on my way back in.

JasonInBend
JasonInBend
The last few days there have been a lot of kokes at the surface, I'm sure you'll see them.

W
wils
Thanks to fellow OFF'er JFrost for his timely report
Launched from the shore at the North Ramp. That might not be so doable next week as the lake is dropping a couple of feet a day.

7/27 - Water wasn't coming out of the OB so I just went about 300 yards, found a school that wanted my jig, and caught 3 quick kokes in the 16-18" range by 6:30. I didn't want to stick around running solely on electric power so called it a "day" @ 8 AM

7/30 - without the thermostat my plan was to look for kokes on my way out to do some bassin'. Couldn't find any that wanted to bite so I kept on out to the "bass grounds". Found a stretch of shore where the bass were in post-spawn. Caught 4 in the 2#-5# size. Then the bite absolutely stopped dead. Looked around and saw 4 river otters. So much for bassin'. Went back looking for kokes but the koke bite was pretty much off for everyone that I saw/talked to - except for the under 10# size.

I'll be headed back out next week to try again.

JasonInBend
JasonInBend
Fished from 6-11 Friday morning. Slow slow slow for trolling. Picked up a couple keepers ~17-18", lost a couple keepers, and tossed back a handful of minis. A couple groups were having better luck jigging off of the point just north of the confluence in about 20-30' of water. Water level is dropping by the day.

Top Bottom