Wickiup/Craine Prairie

D
Dodie
My sister and I took a recon mission up to Craine Prairie and Wickiup Res. this morning. Craine Prairie looks good and at that time not to many people there camping already.
Wickiup looks good. Water was clear and cold. The boat launch at Gull Point is so much improved! There are 3 boat launches there now with even a boat dock for loading and unloading. They greatly improved the parking area with lots of room and everything is now paved. Really did a great job on improving that site. The gull point campground had loads of campers and fisher people.
Be sure to wear your life jackets.
Be safe out there. Dodie :dance:

T
TTFishon
Dodie said:
My sister and I took a recon mission up to Craine Prairie and Wickiup Res. this morning. Craine Prairie looks good and at that time not to many people there camping already.
Wickiup looks good. Water was clear and cold. The boat launch at Gull Point is so much improved! There are 3 boat launches there now with even a boat dock for loading and unloading. They greatly improved the parking area with lots of room and everything is now paved. Really did a great job on improving that site. The gull point campground had loads of campers and fisher people.
Be sure to wear your life jackets.
Be safe out there. Dodie :dance:

Thanks for the report. I'm planning on camping at Wickiup next month.

O
oldhippie
My catch from this weekend at Wickiup (#11 rainbow original rapala in about 4ft of water):

browntrout.jpg

18406ej
18406ej
Nice work!

O
Outdrsmn
kinda looks like a light colored brown to me.

O
oldhippie
Outdrsmn said:
kinda looks like a light colored brown to me.

They tend to be pretty light colored up there, also very tasty!

D
Dodie
Wickiup

Wickiup

:clap: Nice fish there Oldhippy. It does look like a Brown to me as well but who cares! Nice fish either way. We went to Craine Prairie day before yesterday and they have a BIG hatch of no see'ems. They were everywhere. Went to Rock Creek as well and the boat dock was still out of the water but ramp is good condition.
Great Work!
Take care out there everyone!
Dodie :dance:

B
Bfishin
Dodie said:
:clap: Nice fish there Oldhippy. It does look like a Brown to me as well but who cares! Nice fish either way. We went to Craine Prairie day before yesterday and they have a BIG hatch of no see'ems. They were everywhere. Went to Rock Creek as well and the boat dock was still out of the water but ramp is good condition.
Great Work!
Take care out there everyone!
Very nice Brown:clap:. I've yet to fish Wickiup. I tried some Brown fishing at Crescent earlier this year, but got skunked. Were you trolling or just casting?

D
Dodie
Wickiup

Wickiup

:D,
We were not fishing, just looking. We live in La Pine and so go up there often to check things out. When weather warms up a bit we will be out there fishing with all the rest. Yanno, us ole folks don't care much for the cold... hehehehehe
It takes us about 20 minutes or so to get up that way so take drives as often as we can.
We are going to Brownlee next Wed. and will be there until Sunday. All our tackle is pretty much packed up and ready to go so guess we are just to lazy to unpack it to fish at Wickiup right now. Have fished Wickiup for eons and love to fish at Sheep Bridge. No boat for us so we bank fish. Brother in law and sister moved here a couple years ago and they have a boat but like to fish more for Crappie than trout but we are going to make it out on Wickiup some time this year.
Take care out there and be safe.

O
oldhippie
Bfishin said:
Very nice Brown:clap:. I've yet to fish Wickiup. I tried some Brown fishing at Crescent earlier this year, but got skunked. Were you trolling or just casting?

We cast from the boat. If you fish Crescent you have to be there EARLY. That lake is so clear that when the sun comes up the fish run and hide. We catch most of our fish there during the first two legal hours.

T
tnffishman
wow, that's a nice brown

F
FishSlayer420
Yeah nice fish man. We went to Crescent a few weeks ago and were trolling got skunked. but i really want to try wickiup sometime soon hopefully

O
oldhippie
FishSlayer420 said:
Yeah nice fish man. We went to Crescent a few weeks ago and were trolling got skunked. but i really want to try wickiup sometime soon hopefully

Crescent is one of my favorite places, I love fishing there. Beautifully clear, Diamond Peak is spectacular, and never I've never not seen a bald eagle there. Oh, and the fish are LARGE and TASTY. Big kokanee, big browns, the occasional huge rainbow and monster macinaw. It's fisherfolk heaven! Hint, go spring and fall, fish EARLY. Crescent gives 'em up reluctantly but they are truly special when you get them.

T
TTFishon
Nice brown dude. I'm headed up there next weekend. It's funny too because I just bought me a rainbow rapala.