Wickiup at an all time low..

troutdude
troutdude
Because of a law suit filed, to protect a frog specie.

S
Slo
WTH....:sad: That is sad.

W
wils
Its even sadder seeing it in person....

F
Fred
Frogs are important too :D I'm a traitor >:)

troutdude
troutdude
:thumb:

:D

hobster
hobster
Only time I've been to Wickiup is the OFF gathering a few years ago. Good times! That video, however, was pretty depressing. Such a sad sight, makes no sense at all

B
Bill
I guess I am missing something. Wickiup is and was designed for irrigation purposes. It was not made with recreation as its main purpose. Maybe with enough issues,they will just stop stocking it. A great fishery but it’s not designed for sportsman its for irrigation

troutdude
troutdude
The issue, I believe, is that the lake is at an all-time record low. Being drained, at 5 times is usual rate (for this time of the year). All due, apparently, because of an environmental issue of the survival of a specie of frog. Which has nothing to do, I assume, with irrigation. At least that's what I got from the video.

W
wils
troutdude;n614113 said:
The issue, I believe, is that the lake is at an all-time record low. Being drained, at 5 times is usual rate (for this time of the year). All due, apparently, because of an environmental issue of the survival of a specie of frog. Which has nothing to do, I assume, with irrigation. At least that's what I got from the video.

That..... and the tourist industry needs tourists to see a full river as it goes through Bend.
as for the frogs? they moved in to an area that was NOT their historical "stomping grounds". But once they did, the frog-folk decided that these new areas would be taken from the owners and given to the frogs. I've got that problem right now...………… Can we get an OFF section for "frog gigging"? :)

troutdude
troutdude
wils;n614114 said:
can we get an off section for "frog gigging"? :)

rotfl!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:hi::hi:

4labs
4labs
Almost every res. in the state is at less than 20% Only the natural lakes are holding water.We are really in a drought. Looks like CA in 2013.
It kills me to see wick like this. I doubt it can recover without at least 2yrs of normal runoff. East lake and Paulina will see a lot more pressure next yr and Crane Prairie has some good size koks. Its two bad about wick it had a huge population of 8-10inch koks this yr that would have been in the 14' or bigger next yr. Doubt the made it. The browns will head downstream and some even say they will end in up in Billy Chinook. A surprise was to hear about spawning koks in Davis Lake and good size but its only catch and release. If only Odell fish were bigger.

troutdude
troutdude
4labs;n614125 said:
Its two bad about wick it had a huge population of 8-10inch koks this yr that would have been in the 14' or bigger next yr. Doubt the made it.

I've been thinking that very same thing. Warm water isn't their friend sadly.

D
DonF
Bill said:
I guess I am missing something. Wickiup is and was designed for irrigation purposes. It was not made with recreation as its main purpose. Maybe with enough issues,they will just stop stocking it. A great fishery but it’s not designed for sportsman its for irrigation
Maybe they shou;ld take out the dam and let it be a public water way again. After all it is public water and irragator's should have no special right's. Haystack. Prineville Res and Ochoco Res same thing. The state damed up public water to make it avaliable to a special interest group and that group is first served!

S
Snopro
A reservoir isn't required to have water rights.